NAD: Dr Z EZG

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10105
edited October 2014 in Amps
I really don't know what to say about this amp...

Honestly, lost for words for once... Ordered a few months ago to match my DR Z cab, this is the 399th EZG made apparently !

Superb service at both branches of Peach Guitars today, a 7 hour round trip (!)... was it all worth it ????

Wow. Kinda like the best sounding Blackface/Deluxe/Bassman I've ever encountered. Simple to dial in,
and even works at home volumes.

Truly beautiful. I guess more to follow.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool amp. They are on my list. Is the reverb noisy? It must be quite close to the transformers in the head.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Cream amps are the way forward good work fella!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10105
    Actually, the reverb is very quiet indeed. The whole amp is quiet, built like the proverbial brick outhouse, and naturally has incredible cleans.

I'm still in a state of shock that I'm into the Dr Z stuff. But the build quality, interchangable nature, great forum and superb service back up make them a wonderful choice. There is a used EZG on ebay now...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    capo4th said:
    Cream amps are the way forward good work fella!

The blonde is a great look, and the wife loves it (VERY important factor). The Monza is sitting above it - a stunning vastly underrated amp, even in the Z community... Next up, I feel, is to get the 4x10 for the EZG...
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Warren that is a great photo congrats on the collection
    edited October 2014
    capo4th said:
    Warren that is a great photo congrats on the collection
    Mate, do you know I've spent £1000s on cameras; love my macro photography. These shots ? iPhone 6 plus... incredible, and so easy to use ! The advance of technology is amazing...

The guitars behind are;

- 1994 Rickenbacker 360/12 WB
    - CS '51 Nocaster
    - CS '56 Heavy Relic Strat

The Strat is my main instrument now, and the Nocaster gets very little use... it may be on the chopping board yet !
  • What happened to the Jim Kelly?

How does the Z compare?
    The Jim Kelley...hmmm....

Lovely cleans, no - amazing cleans. BUT, heavy as anything I've ever encountered. And, the reality of transporting and playing live an amp nearly £4000 was worrying. It is a superb amp though, and too loud for me with my needs (it's at Peach Guitars now if you fancy trying it !)

I think that the EZGs cleans are on parr with it, and controllable at home levels without attenuation (although I have got an Air Brake to try it with...). I love the mix and match aspect of the Zs too...

The EZG is also 'off the shelf' as it replaceable if anything untoward happened.

I guess it'll need a full report once I've settled in with it...

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    edited October 2014
    Very cool, congrats dude!

I have a Maz 18 NR head arriving this week, with 2x10 Cab. Was looking for a long while for a new amp and kept coming back to the Maz as just seems so versatile.

Can't believe you are thinking of letting the Nocaster go. Mine is the double of yours actually, and I cannot imagine a better guitar. If it is a more recent one (2012 onwards) with the Twisted Tele's pups, the neck pickup pretty much nails Strat neck tone anyway, then you have a rock machine that a Strat cannot match on the bridge pup. It is the ultimate Swiss army knife guitar, and that is coming from someone who loves Strats!! 

:)
    @cloudnine interesting...

I find that I love the neck pickup sound more on my Strat and Nocaster.

My Nocaster is a 2007, and is a great guitar. Love the bridge pick up; maybe I need to try the Twisted Tele pups - these have been recommended to me before...
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    I had an older Nocaster a few years back, and there is a definite difference in the neck pup tone on the recent ones. I remember being massively dissappointed with the neck tone on the old one. Bridge pup tone is equally good on both. Might be worth giving a Twisted Tele a try in the neck before you part with it. Make sure it is the pups they actually put in the CS Nocasters as not sure they are all the same. Anyway, de-railing your NAD thread dude. Loving that rig, looks great in the cream. The red ones look nice too, but they are nearly double the volume. ;)
  • Does it actually do such a vast range of fender tones? I've heard of amps claiming to do blackface and tweedy type of sounds in one box... If so, is it just an eq thing or is it switches? I like the idea of switching between tweedy and blackfacey sounds...

Looks proper nice, too. Happy NAD! :D
    edited October 2014
    @theprettydamned In my experience mate, there are very very few amps that truly do BF and tweedy in one package. In fact, I'm always slightly suspicious of amps that claim to do this... Invariably, there has been some compromise along the lines...

However, the Redplates come close, I guess.

The Dr Z is his slant on the Blackface tones, not the tweed. The best BFs have that bloom, shimmer etc whereas the tweeds have that rawer drive and clipped sound imho.

The EZG certainly nails those BF/Bassman tones, and I think the LARGE transformers help a lot here...
  • @theprettydamned In my experience mate, there are very very few amps that truly do BF and tweedy in one package. In fact, I'm always slightly suspicious of amps that claim to do this... Invariably, there has been some compromise along the lines...

However, the Redplates come close, I guess.

The Dr Z is his slant on the Blackface tones, not the tweed. The best BFs have that bloom, shimmer etc whereas the tweeds have that rawer drive and clipped sound imho.

The EZG certainly nails those BF/Bassman tones, and I think the LARGE transformers help a lot here...
    Ahhh gotcha! 

Still, that's one fricking beautiful amp.  I'm trying to work out what clean channel I'd rather have in my amp, a Blackfacey/Dumbley thing that's got that big sense of depth to it, or the Marshall Major style which... John Fru FANBOI. ;)

It's a lovely amp for the living room, too, actually a lovely bit of furniture.  Me wants. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Nice one. You've had some decent kit on your amp journey that's for sure. Hope the Dr Z's nail it for you. It is a lovely looking thing for sure.
    edited October 2014
    dindude said:
    Nice one. You've had some decent kit on your amp journey that's for sure. Hope the Dr Z's nail it for you. It is a lovely looking thing for sure.
    Still miss my Sportsman though mate, for those 'grab n go' moments...

But I'm loving the Dr Z stuff. The Monza and the EZG are just spot on for me personally.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    dindude said:
    Still miss my Sportsman though mate, for those 'grab n go' moments...

But I'm loving the Dr Z stuff. The Monza and the EZG are just spot on for me personally.
    I bet the EZG has some kick-ass headroom too, sounds great in the clips I've heard.

Sportsman still doing it for me almost two years in, such a great "home with occasional outside playing" amp.

P.s. Does Doug at Coda know you are cheating on him with Peach?
    :)
    I did laugh at that mate !

Yes, Doug knows, and he's a top bloke... he also knows that I'll be back there very soon to spend some more !

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Congrats....been a Dr Z user for years (Maz Sr and Carmen Ghia), and IMO you can't go wrong; absolutely top quality amps. I'd love an EZG as well.....