Line 6 Pod Go v2.0 just released

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4861
edited November 2023 in Digital & Modelling
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
    his pod is super dirty in that pic. Disgraceful . 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32236
    I have a morbid fear of losing all my settings if I update it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just updated mine. TBH not detecting a HUGE difference in the cabs ‘out of the box’ but I’d spent ages refining my patches before so didn’t feel the need to change to the new style cabs.

Great to see it get updates still though :)
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    p90fool said:
    Assuming the update process is similar to that of the Helix, the recommended steps are backup / update / factory reset / restore.  So you will have a backup of presets / settings to fall back on if required.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4861
    edited November 2023
    p90fool said:
    The back up that the upgrade does is an all or nothing backup. I still do this BUT before I do anything I also back up every user patch, factory patch & IR individually so I can import back & can get into the settings of any individual patch I want because I'm saving each patch as a separate .pgp file.  See here how to do this, and this guarantees you won't lose your patches even if the 'bulk' back-up done by the upgrade process didn't work for any reason. 

https://line6.com/support/topic/65646-tips-on-backing-up-your-pod-go/#comment-453863

Now, its recommended after the upgrade to reset Pod Go back to factory by pressing buttons C&D whilst switching Pod Go on.  This will do two things.  First it will upgrade the factory patches to the new cabs. Second, it will clear any residual unnecessary code.  Pod Go is essentially a computer so think of it like this - on a PC, if you upgrade from windows 7 to windows ten, you can keep all your settings and programs or you can clean install for best results - so a Pod Go factory reset is like a clean install. 

Now, if you import back the patches in the way I do, you'll put back all your user patches and IR's. If you've changed factory patches and want them back, you can still do that but now you can pick & choose which patches you import back.  I had a load I didn't use so it was quite cathartic to only bring back what I wanted. 

If you create an 'all or nothing' backup (as you should) before doing the update ie the backup that Pod Go edit creates, that backup will include the old factory presets in the Factory folder ie without the new cab models. So if you do the factory reset after updating (again, as you should), & re-import the 'all or nothing' back up, you'll overwrite the new factory presets with the old ones unless you do the following simple procedure.  All you need to do is expand the Presets tab under the Restore from Backup dialog and uncheck the Factory box. This way the old factory presets will not be included in the restored backup, and the new factory presets with all the new cab models will remain. Voila!

May be an image of text that says Choose backup file restore from BackuFer DocumentsLine 6POD GoBackups POD Go Wireless Backup 2023-Nov-08pgb November 8 2023 1141 AM POD Go Wireless 2a 9fc7ec32 Version whic items from this backup you wish to restore to your POD Gohardware GlS Global Settings Impulse ImpulseRespo Responses User Model Defaults Presets Factory User Close Restore ResreBaku Backup
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just updated mine. TBH not detecting a HUGE difference in the cabs ‘out of the box’ but I’d spent ages refining my patches before so didn’t feel the need to change to the new style cabs.

Great to see it get updates still though :)
    Just posted re factory reset to get factory patches upgraded, & back-ups in case this might be helpful. The new cabs make a huge improvement to the factory presets!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    Mine decided to get stuck in Snap Shot mode on Tues night. Nothing would get it out of it. Really annoying and only a lot of fiddling the following day got it back and able to use bank mode. 

I don't use any cabs but the new  effects are welcome. 

Check the condition of your USB port before you update. Line 6 use quite frail ports, seen a few broken ones and if the port fails while updating you could be left with a door stop. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited November 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    Mine decided to get stuck in Snap Shot mode on Tues night. Nothing would get it out of it. Really annoying and only a lot of fiddling the following day got it back and able to use bank mode. 

Check the condition of your USB port before you update. Line 6 use quite frail ports, seen a few broken ones and if the port fails while updating you could be left with a door stop. 
    That's really odd. I'm on loads of different Pod Go & similar forums inc the Line 6 site, and that's the first time in the 3 and a half years I've had my Pod Go that I've heard of anyone having issues with the USB port.  Out of interest, what firmware version were you on when it got stuck - and when you last upgraded the firmware did you reset it back to factory after the upgrade before re-importing your backed-up patches? 
    Voxman said:
    Danny1969 said:

That's really odd. I'm on loads of different Pod Go & similar forums inc the Line 6 site, and that's the first time in the 3 and a half years I've had my Pod Go that I've heard of anyone having issues with the USB port.  Out of interest, what firmware version were you on when it got stuck - and when you last upgraded the firmware did you reset it back to factory after the upgrade before re-importing your backed-up patches? 
    I've only updated it once, and that was because they added an acoustic sim which I thought might be useful for the tribute band I was in. That was maybe 2 years ago.

It didn't get stuck on a firmware update .. I haven't done one. I was using it on Tues night and hit both up / down which puts it in snap shot mode. However it wouldn't exit this mode. There was nothing I could do to get out of it. The following day I watched a YT video and the guy suggested going into global and adjusting the SS setting in there, then exiting and from there it did come out of it. 

The USB port used on L6 devices is a basic cheap consumer design like you would see on a printer or an audio interface. The faults I have seen are the inner part breaking away thus losing contact with the Data + and - pins 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited November 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    Voxman said:
    Danny1969 said:

I've only updated it once, and that was because they added an acoustic sim which I thought might be useful for the tribute band I was in. That was maybe 2 years ago.

It didn't get stuck on a firmware update .. I haven't done one. I was using it on Tues night and hit both up / down which puts it in snap shot mode. However it wouldn't exit this mode. There was nothing I could do to get out of it. The following day I watched a YT video and the guy suggested going into global and adjusting the SS setting in there, then exiting and from there it did come out of it. 

The USB port used on L6 devices is a basic cheap consumer design like you would see on a printer or an audio interface. The faults I have seen are the inner part breaking away thus losing contact with the Data + and - pins 
    Wow, you're on very old firmware Danny - POD Go 1.21 (released March 25, 2021) was when the acoustic sim was added. Apart from your missing out on later firmware fixing a number of bugs, you've also been missing out on some major user features,  enhancements and additional versatility, as well as a host of amp, cab & FX models.  And the Pod Go v.2.0 new cab engine & IR's is simply the biggest sonic upgrade since Pod Go was launched. You really ought to think about upgrading as it really will enhance your user experience & enjoyment of Pod Go.     
    Thanks for your help @Voxman ;
    I've just started the update, so fingers crossed! 
    All done, seems to work fine. I'll set the PA up later and have a dabble with the new cab engine. 
    edited November 2023
    I've been playing with the new cab engine and IRs and it's a game changer; the sonic uplift and feel is just on a different level now to the legacy stock cab models. Even the 'meh' factory presets come to life ( you have to reset back to factory after upgrading, to get these). 

It doesn't completely negate the value of good third party IRs especially those with more complex dual cab multi mic set ups, but for most users these new IRs should easily be more than they'll likely ever need. And the position control of the mics and other parameters now means you can customise these to give huge tonal options even with a single IR. 

There are 33 new IR cab models and 41 legacy cabs, so not every legacy model has been upgraded, but that's a great selection and I suspect Line 6 will likely add more in future updates. 
    Well I just set up my Marshall half stack and JBL PA next to each other so I could compare my pre-cab sim Amp Out to my post-cab sim Main Out, using the new Pod Go cabs. 

I had a workable compromise before but it still had fairly artificial sounding "cab sim" overtones, and I am not in a position to be able to endlessly audition IRs through a full PA so I bit the bullet and did the version 2.0 update just to see if I could improve matters. 

I scrolled through a couple of cabs, settled on a Celestion loaded 4x12 and was in the right ballpark immediately, pulled the virtual mic back an inch or two and it sounded pretty good to be fair. 

I'm a cynical and grudging modeller user really, as I suspect is @Danny1969 , but this is the best amp-less sound I've ever had.
    It feels natural and doesn't seem to have any weird spikes or dips anywhere, I could genuinely see me wanting to use this as a portable option rather than just as a silent stage or amp failure emergency tool. 
    edited November 2023
    Well I am going to be gig'ing mine again as I am in a band that is a tribute to the more indie bands of the eighties. There's a lot of timed delays, reverse audio, auto fade in guitar sounds that is a bit beyond my basic pedal board and I'm not really one to send big money on more capable pedals if I can get this to be a working solution. 

The trouble is I don't have a lot of faith in it. I tried the update a couple of days ago and the Pod Go Edit software said it was completed ... however the actual Pod Go just hung on a blank screen. I left it an hour, came back and no different ... still just a blank screen, Turned it off and on again but that's all it would do ... blank screen, no buttons lit up, Pod Edit refused to acknowledge it was connected despite just shafting it  and left it about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. 

After resisting the urge to chuck it in the bin I went online and researched the problem .. downloaded L6 updater, put it in update mode and then was able to flash it then it booted up normally and I was back to where I started. At this point I decided I didn't trust Line 6's ability to write a safe flash procedure and it wasn't worth the risk of bricking it totally. 

Yes I understand USB electronically, I have good cables, good Apple PC with direct USB ports on the motherboard. The unit has only ever had a USB cable connected to the (shit quality) port twice and the unit is in as new condition. 

I think the answer for me is use the Pod Go for the strange effects I need but also use a small board as well. So if it decides to get stuck in SS mode again or refuses to boot up I can still do the gig .. just with less effects. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    That's one of the reasons I'll never spend big money or go all in with digital tech, it's no more trustworthy than any other tech and I can't fix it!
  • p90fool said:
    Well I just set up my Marshall half stack and JBL PA next to each other so I could compare my pre-cab sim Amp Out to my post-cab sim Main Out, using the new Pod Go cabs. 

I had a workable compromise before but it still had fairly artificial sounding "cab sim" overtones, and I am not in a position to be able to endlessly audition IRs through a full PA so I bit the bullet and did the version 2.0 update just to see if I could improve matters. 

I scrolled through a couple of cabs, settled on a Celestion loaded 4x12 and was in the right ballpark immediately, pulled the virtual mic back an inch or two and it sounded pretty good to be fair. 

I'm a cynical and grudging modeller user really, as I suspect is @Danny1969 , but this is the best amp-less sound I've ever had.
    It feels natural and doesn't seem to have any weird spikes or dips anywhere, I could genuinely see me wanting to use this as a portable option rather than just as a silent stage or amp failure emergency tool. 

I love these types of real world tests.. 

Gonna update mine once the dust has settled... I rarely use it cos I have the Helix but it'll be good to see what I can get my back up unit to sound like again..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5646
    edited November 2023
    I'm thinking about getting a Pod Go. I read somewhere that it's not the smoothest at changing between patches, has this update fixed that or is there still a bit of lag?
    edited November 2023
    DiscoStu said:
    I'm thinking about getting a Pod Go. I read somewhere that it's not the smoothest at changing between patches, has this update fixed that or is there still a bit of lag?
    Patch changes in Pod Go were frankly dreadful.  It's so hugely faster and smoother now than it was, that there's now no comparison.

There is the merest tiniest split second of lag but it's so fast now it's almost imperceptible for all but the absolute fussiest of players. There's no pop or noise now, merely the very tiniest split second slight drop in volume that you'd have to listen very carefully for. 

To put this in perspective I'm really fussy and I thought it was instant and never even noticed this and it was only when this was mentioned by someone else and I hit a chord and changed patches and listened very very carefully did I hear it. So if I've had to do that to pick up on it I think it's fair to say patch changing is now really fast. 

I'm pretty fussy as live there are some songs I play when I need to go quickly from eg a chorus clean to a rock distortion. Examples are Led Zeps 'Ramble on' and Bad Company's 'Feel like making love' which previously I simply couldn't use a patch change for in Pod Go and had to use a snapshot.  Now, I can make these changes easily using different patches such that for all intents and purposes it's as near instant enough that I can't perceive any lag. 
  • DiscoStu said:
    but isn't this what snapshots are for?  I tend to have everything for a song on one patch and switch sounds with snapshots.  I might change patches between songs but there is time for that.