TV/film watching advice req.

What's Hot
I've got some films on the PC, what do I need to get them to play on the TV? It does have an HDMI input, but I've no idea what to do, help would be appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    ... model of tv & laptop .... pics of the sockets etc ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    lots of options

1 - get a cable to go from your graphic out to HDMI in the TV
    2 - if you have a macbook then there is a cable too, basically mirror or extend the desktop
    3 - get something like Chrome stick, or Roku, and play it through that
    4 - if you have a console, use the console.
  • Just don't watch them with the kids around.  Although you may be proud, seeing their parents like that can leave lasting sexual psychological damage.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    I use a WDTV box plugged into the tv, either watch via a network connection or copy onto a usb memory stick and watch that way, they tend to play all formats....which is nice.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Digital-WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media-Player-Full-HD-1080P-/390942973246?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_Streamers&hash=item5b06045d3e
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    If the TV has a USB input, you can put them on a USB stick or external hard drive and play them directly on the TV. I do that - Mac and Panansonic TV.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554
    I use a small format PC under the TV
    It runs Vlc player which can play every format known to man plus I can just go straight to the pb and download direct and watch as well as YouTube iplayer And everything else
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Like Tone71 I have a WD box. It will play everything I have thrown at it up to 1080p.  And it will recognise a folder which contains all the Vob files from a Dvd. So my movies are now stored on a portable USB drive.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    We just use an HD lead from the laptop to the tv.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Just cut and pasted a couple of films to an SD card , after I noticed the TV has a slot for them. It recognises photos, but not the films. ARSE!

I don't have a laptop, and I've therefore got to either move the PC, or get a very long HDMI/HDMI cable, if I'm reading your replies right?

Just cut and pasted a couple of films to an SD card , after I noticed the TV has a slot for them. It recognises photos, but not the films. ARSE!

I don't have a laptop, and I've therefore got to either move the PC, or get a very long HDMI/HDMI cable, if I'm reading your replies right?

Chrome cast should work, stick that in the HDMI slot and then send files from the PC to it?
    What the fuck is Chrome cast?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074

I've had the same problem when I try to take stuff over to a friend's house on a USB stick - the TV (Sony) will read the folder structure, but won't recognise the individual files. I wonder if it's just that they have the wrong extension - mine are all .mp4 - and if it's worth trying something else (eg .mpeg)?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Adds Smart TV feature to your TV, so you can stream videos through it.

Interesting. Thanks.

You can do this. It's actually easier than it looks.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I use a NOW TV box and Plex.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew said:
    I use a NOW TV box and Plex.
    That works too, needs it's own Power supply but it is cheaper. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    Chilli...could you answer the following questions please...

1) What is the make and model of your TV ?
    2) Is your TV connected to the internet in any way ?
    3) Do you have a games console of any sort ?

Playing direct to your TV from your PC is out - even if you had a HDMI output on the PC, as it's physically too far away.
    That leaves playing via another device, such as a games console -or- playing directly on the TV using a memory stick of some kind -or- streaming direct to the TV (if it's connected to the internet / or by using a Chromecast dongle).

Once we know what TV you have, we can read up on what it's capable of and go from there.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    PS3, Xbox 360 or Xbox One and Plex.

Works great for us and we use a PS3 downstairs and our son uses his Xbox One Upstairs.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    I'm pretty sure it's Apple TV for common people.

I use ATV and itunes where I can, and PS3 streaming from laptop for everything that is the wrong format for itunes.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom