Katana MKIII?

What's Hot
RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
Just wondering if anyone had heard rumours of a Katana mkIII?

I‘m in the market for a ‘do it all’ home amp and the Katana seems to fit the bill, but would really like to be able to control it via Bluetooth/iOS - and I’m not sure the Air version is quite big/loud enough.  

I’d happily buy a Katana 50/100 mkII and a Bluetooth adapter to enable one of the third party apps, but then I’d be marginally annoyed if a mkIII appeared on the market soon after.  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’d be really interested in trying one if there was - I bought a V2 with high hopes but really didn’t get on with the sound of it. I do like the AIRD models in the GX100 though.
  • Surely the mkIIs haven't been out that long yet?!

I've got an AIRD-enabled GT-1000 CORE and that thing is lovely, there's some really great tones in there - so what if they're not labelled as exact models of very specific things that I've never actually heard in-person anyway! :)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12418
    What's left to change would be the main issue - the Katana 50 is the basic bread and butter model and they pretty much nailed what it does with Mk 1 and tweaked it with Mk 2 - they have done the little desktop bluetooth job, the expensive one with the nicer speaker etc etc anyhow without changing the basic models.

If they completely re-jig it and do new amp models based on the new tech, the price will go up significantly (as it would have to have most of the guts of a GT-1000 in it) so they might lose their raison d'etre - a simple basic amp that can do anything for very little money.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 561
    Boss have just released the ME 90 and that has AIRD technology so it may not be too far away !.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 688
    edited November 2023
    I have a katana Air EX on loan from a friend. My take on it so far:
    It goes way louder than I need for home use, but it's very controllable at very modest volumes, so offers a good range of volumes.
    The wireless transmitter is really good, if left for a while it and the amp go into standby, and then when you pick the guitar up, it all switches back on.
    I downloaded the tone studio app to my ipad, and connected to the amp via Bluetooth. It was easy to do, and you can then control it all from the ipad.
    Finally, it makes my Yamaha THR10 (original one) sound like a toy, at comparable volumes. Hmm, might have to buy one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    Surely the mkIIs haven't been out that long yet?!

The mkII’s were released in 2019.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    Thanks for the comments and replies.   I might look at the GT Core and ME90 as well.

Any suggestions for a power amp or powered cab?
  • RobDavies said:
    Surely the mkIIs haven't been out that long yet?!

The mkII’s were released in 2019.  
    Woah - I was thinking ~2021-22!
  • PALPAL Frets: 561
    RobDavies said:
    Thanks for the comments and replies.   I might look at the GT Core and ME90 as well.

Any suggestions for a power amp or powered cab?
        I would check out the new Fender Tone Master FR-10 & FR-12 cabs.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14810
    tFB Trader
    I use a Katana Mk11 at home - Not really because it is the be all and end all - But it is blooming convenient - One lead - Plug in and play - I have 3/4 patches that cover the majority of my needs - No pedals etc etc etc - But I use minimal effects

I do have one complaint though - No tuner - It would have been so easy to fit one - I'd be surprised if the appropriate chip/software is not already in there - But for some reason they decided not to fit one