SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Budget Strat

So, this is an interesting one. I’ve put a few partscasters together in my time, and my buddy who plays a little (but purely as a very occasional hobby) fancies me putting something together for him. Frankly; I’m keen to!

However, before I embark on a parts rush, has anyone got anything Stratty for £300? He’s basically just wanting to wang about to some Gilmour / Clapton-esque backing tracks once in a while, so doesn’t have to be anything particularly special.

The convo started around the Jet / Harley Benton sorts that are available - I said that with the right upgrades, they can be giggable, legit instruments. So he pretty much set me the challenge!

If anyone has anything remotely fitting the bill, give me a shout. Whether it’s a basis for upgrading, an already put together partscaster, or a decent Squier or Mexi Fender (appreciate that’s ambitious, but could potentially move on price a bit if it ticks all the boxes), let me know!

Brands are unimportant really, but ideally:

• Blue / Green (anything but red or sunburst considered though!)
• Maple fretboard
• SSS (but HSS not fully ruled out - just the Clapton / Gilmour style favours SSS)

Even if you don’t have anything yourself, the wealth of knowledge is hugely appreciated if you’ve got recommendations. 

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat on the classifieds here. It's sunburst though, but it's a great guitar.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 537
    Ah yeah, I’ve seen that. I like it, but sadly a couple of things my mate doesn’t!

• swillerswiller Frets: 1668
    edited November 2023
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228241/ngd-korean-squire-1989-s90-serial#latest
    Half way down/up, august 2022 post. 
    Spent about 300 in all on this one using a tech to do the work.
    Great cheap modding platforms. 1989 korean squier strats. Look for e9/s9 serial numbers, or even better e7. necks are superb and heavy (laminate body). V resonant, thick tone whatever you put in them.
    Or yours for 250. Wynne jenkins did the work, highly regarded tech in south wales.   Pics of the work in the link^^.
    In wales so prob not doable, but this series well worth a look if you want a very good cheap modding platform. > classic vibes all day. Bargains.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 537
    Definitely one to ponder, looks great! And thank you for the advice.