Great footage of the Pat Metheny Band back in 1977 with its classic line up.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
With Lyle Mays, Mark Egan and Danny Gottlieb.
I love this early era of Pat's band. American Garage being one of my all time favourite albums.
Wonderful to see these great players in their prime.
This track is called Jaco.
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    edited November 2023
    Excellent! So 70s looking. Pat has a wealth of amazing music. Sad that Lyle Mays is no longer with us.

I don't recall hearing a bass solo with Pat before! Should have expected it given the song title. Love the bass all thought this, much more prominent than I've heard with Pat before.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I’m not mistaken this was on German TV, he had his parents fly over as it was the first time he was on European television with his own band and thought it might be the only time he would be.  
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    I came to PM late in life around 5 years ago but now have most of his back catalog

He is one of the very few guitarists you never hear "thinking" just a constant stream of impro
    tae be or not tae be
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    axisus said:
    Excellent! So 70s looking. Pat has a wealth of amazing music. Sad that Lyle Mays is no longer with us.

I don't recall hearing a bass solo with Pat before! Should have expected it given the song title. Love the bass all thought this, much more prominent than I've heard with Pat before.
    There’s one halfway through ‘Bright Size Life’. Some Irish chap, think his name is Jack O’Pistorious? 

(It still boggles the mind that Metheny was 21 when that album was made.)

• BradBrad Frets: 662
    bobacco said:
    axisus said:

There’s one halfway through ‘Bright Size Life’. Some Irish chap, think his name is Jack O’Pistorious? 

And I still don’t think he’s bettered it yet, or ever will for that matter! 
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    Brad said:
    bobacco said:
    axisus said:

And it’s not like he’s had a lack of quality output, either. Sublime album. 

• BradBrad Frets: 662
    edited November 2023
    bobacco said:
    Brad said:
    bobacco said:
    axisus said:

And it’s not like he’s had a lack of quality output, either. Sublime album. 
    Exactly! The brilliance of his subsequent material after all these years actually further enhances the brilliance of BSL. 

And like you say, it launched that half decent Irish bloke to a wider audience too wink

That first PMG album is ace, love the way that outro rolls around on Jaco, get lost in it.