Neck finishing newbie question?

What's Hot
Hi all. I have an unfinished Rockinger strat neck and not sure what I should do to finish it? Apart from the light sanding, can I apply linseed oil etc everywhere except the fretboard and the heel?
Should I apply it to the fretboard as well? Or something like the Monty stuff etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    Personally I like Tru Oil on an unfinished neck.
    Just 2 or 3 thin coats, then a couple of thicker... but not thick coats, 0000 grade wire wool (Liberon brand is best I've found) until the finish is flat/matte then buff like mad with a soft cotton cloth to a soft sheen.
    I do this on the fretboard too, cleaning up the residue off the frets with a little acetone on a cotton bud or 7.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    Make sure you use Boiled linseed oil as standard linseed oil never cures! 

If you want something a little more hardwearing you can try the Osmo PolyX wipe on oils, the sample packs of 5ml are enough for a few coats of both neck/fretboard, wipes on just like tru/walnut/linseed  

Ive been using walnut oil + finishing wax, & ive found the wax really helps buff/seal more than just an oil finish. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    I prefer Osmo PolyX to Tru-oil
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • +1 for Osmo. It is nice to use.
  • Thanks a lot folks. Should I also treat the fretboard? Or just use some fret oil etc on it?)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited November 2023
    Thanks a lot folks. Should I also treat the fretboard? Or just use some fret oil etc on it?)
    Definitely. Multiple coats of the same finish top and back, then a light wax if you can. It gets dirtier faster than the back of the neck.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks a lot folks. Should I also treat the fretboard? Or just use some fret oil etc on it?)
    Definitely. Multiple coats of the same finish top and back, then a light wax if you can. It gets dirtier faster than the back of the neck.
    Cheers! That's my homework sorted in a few weeks!