What speaker for new amp?

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2303
edited November 2023 in Amps
I’ve got a Silver Jubilee incoming. A 2554 combo. Looking forward to it. 

Anyway, it’s gonna be heavy-ish, obvs, and I’ve grown less fond of V30’s over the last few years, so I tend to use Creambacks pretty exclusively nowadays. I generally find Marshall’s too spiky with V30’s. I dug out my 800 just now with my old Orange cab and I found it a bit fatiguing.

So, I’m obviously leaning towards a Creamback, but I’m wondering about the Ohmage. Is it also worth considering the Neo version for a bit of weight saving?? I’ve just genned up on the differences between the H and M versions. All my amps recently have had the G12 M 65 at 75Hz resonance. 

I assume that’ll probably sound good with the Jube, anyway? 

Is it worth me getting one with a different ohmage? Benefits/drawbacks?? 

Assuming a higher impedance with load the power section slightly more which will make the amp feel slightly different? To be fair, it’s an old 50w Marshall. It’s gonna be loud af, hence the ohmage question and whether there’s any benefit to be had there. 

Other suggestions also welcome. 1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73075
    The M is more midrangy, warmer and slightly fuzzy, the H is deeper, brighter and cleaner. The H is theoretically louder, but the different voicing makes them seem about the same.

The Neo is very good and somewhere between the two - it’s got more of the midrange tone of the M, and quite dark at the top-end, but is smooth rather than fuzzy.

16 ohms gives the most options for connecting other cabs, so given the choice I would go with that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Neo is also a bit lower sensitivity at 97db so shaves a little off the volume as well as the weight, if that’s a factor.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    G12 65s. Old ones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2303
    ICBM said:

16 ohms gives the most options for connecting other cabs, so given the choice I would go with that.
    Assuming you mean it's going to be easier to get/find another 16ohm (probably 1x12) cab (because most on the market seem to be 16/8Ohm) to run with the Jube - I.e. another 16ohm cab (common) will give me a total load of 8 ohms (assuming I go for a 16 in the combo) and that's easier than dicking around with an 8 in the combo (as stock) and then possibly finding/bumping into a 16 in an extension cab and running into mismatches etc?

Hope that makes sense. Total word scramble. 
    Neo is also a bit lower sensitivity at 97db so shaves a little off the volume as well as the weight, if that’s a factor.
    That's cool, too. I don't think losing a hair of volume is going to be too much of a worry with the Jube. I should think it'll have plenty to spare to say the least... Might allow me to get the master up slightly higher which will only be a good thing. 

I am tempted by the Neo, to be fair. I found a good Zilla comparison video of all of them. I liked the H the least, then it was a bit of a toss up between the Neo and the M. Both sounded good. 

Guess it'll depend on whether the combo weighs the same as a small horse or not...
    Cirrus said:
    G12 65s. Old ones. 
    Are these the Heritage ones? Silver back with white label?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    edited November 2023
    I don't know how close the heritage ones are to the originals, but the old '70s and early '80s G12-65s are just magic in a bright marshall circuit - punchy, greenback-esque warmth, smooths out the fizz without losing articulation, and 97dB sensitivity so you can tweak the volume on the amp that little bit higher. the 4 I had all had marshall labels, they came stock in later JMP and early jcm800 amps.
    Cirrus said:
    I don't know how close the heritage ones are to the originals, but the old '70s and early '80s G12-65s are just magic in a bright marshall circuit - punchy, greenback-esque warmth, smooths out the fizz without losing articulation, and 97dB sensitivity so you can tweak the volume on the amp that little bit higher. the 4 I had all had marshall labels, they came stock in later JMP and early jcm800 amps.
    Hmmm. Ok. Thanks, man. I shall keep my eyes open for one of those, too. Sounds intriguing. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73075
    Nerine said:

Assuming you mean it's going to be easier to get/find another 16ohm (probably 1x12) cab (because most on the market seem to be 16/8Ohm) to run with the Jube - I.e. another 16ohm cab (common) will give me a total load of 8 ohms (assuming I go for a 16 in the combo) and that's easier than dicking around with an 8 in the combo (as stock) and then possibly finding/bumping into a 16 in an extension cab and running into mismatches etc?

Hope that makes sense.
    Yes - although actually, if you’re happy mismatching then it probably doesn’t make much difference… just that given the choice and with the speaker jacks in parallel, I would pick the highest available impedance for the combo speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    I have a Sidewinder in my 2554, it makes it really heavy, but the sound is awesome.  It really suits the amp.  I've had mine since the late 80's and so have also got some nice old Groove Tube EL-34's in it, from way back.  They are great amps and I have an Ear Candy extension cab for it, with another Sidewinder, though tbh, it doesn't need it most of the time.  

I had it in a studio one time and the engineer thought it had the best sound that he'd heard in a guitar amp (of course I don't know what his frame of reference was).  
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2344
    What about a celestion v type. I've got a neo in a h&k amp and it sounds great not as spiky as v30