Best micro amp under £60?

What's Hot
JamesC01JamesC01 Frets: 11
I'm looking for a cheap micro amp just for the novelty. The marshall ms-4 seems decent, and on the higher end of my range is the blackstar fly. Are there any other options to consider? I'm looking for something that is surprisingly decent for the price.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73075
    Second hand Roland Micro Cube. Usually around your budget and in a whole different league from the typical ‘micro amps’.

https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/roland-microcube-guitar-amplifier-pre-owned-p7041/s7041

(No affiliation!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    Agreed. I have had a Micro Cube for a few years and use it every night. It uses 6 x AA batteries but they last an actual eternity!
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• You could also pick up a used Vox Mini 3 for £60, which I’d imagine is quite similar to the Microcube.
  • Nux mighty lite 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12587
    I bought the orange tiny desk amp for my nephew a few years ago then bought my daughter a blackstar fly 3. The orange looks cool but sound wise not a patch on the fly 3 which is very good for the money. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3351
    edited November 2023
    Another +1 for the Micro Cube, especially the original ones.
    Kebabkid said:
    Interesting. I’ve had the original one and the GX, and I find the GX to be superior in every way. More amps, more effects, better tuner, more battery life, master volume… the one thing I liked more about the old one was the classic Roland look, which is of course heavily subjective. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• SeshSesh Frets: 1885
    I've been very pleased with my Laney Lionheart Stereo. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    pocket pod and headphones 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited November 2023
    You could also pick up a used Vox Mini 3 for £60, which I’d imagine is quite similar to the Microcube.
    Bit more versatile maybe and a bit more organic-sounding. But it's ages since I've tried the microcube, so I might be misremembering! Based on what I remember I'd probably go for the mini3 over the microcube if they were the same price (and I did!)...
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 537
    I’ve had a THR5 - well worth it. Also had a Katana Mini and whilst the lack of reverb and boxy cleans aren’t rewriting the book on tone, the Brown channel is very playable indeed!

I am really happy with the micro cube, but I wouldn’t mind trying that Vox mini thing :-)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73075
    Yorkie said:
    I am really happy with the micro cube, but I wouldn’t mind trying that Vox mini thing :-)
    I've got a Vox Mini 5 Rhythm, which is a bit bigger and has a built-in drum machine (hence the name), and sounds really good - a proper 'bigger amp' sound, although it is also physically big enough that I wouldn't quite consider it a 'micro amp'... the 3 I probably would.

Or at least, I think I still have it... it lives at my former singer's house, we used to use it for songwriting and practicing, but I haven't seen her for some time :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Yorkie said:
    I've got a Vox Mini 5 Rhythm, which is a bit bigger and has a built-in drum machine (hence the name), and sounds really good - a proper 'bigger amp' sound, although it is also physically big enough that I wouldn't quite consider it a 'micro amp'... the 3 I probably would.
    Reminds me of the Micro Cube RX, also bigger and with integrated rhythms etc. I like it. 

• Nux mighty lite BT will do it  small  and with drums , modelling & Fx etc it’s about £79 now though 
      Quite loud  can set up great sounds using app 

https://youtu.be/-ET1aCIaHkk?si=oRScv4LADWZfYpv2

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3351
    Yorkie said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Interesting. I’ve had the original one and the GX, and I find the GX to be superior in every way. More amps, more effects, better tuner, more battery life, master volume… the one thing I liked more about the old one was the classic Roland look, which is of course heavily subjective. 

Jon
    I found it sounded more digital but it was better spec'd
    Kebabkid said:
    Yorkie said:
    Kebabkid said:

Jon
    I found it sounded more digital but it was better spec'd
    Wow. I played them side by side and couldn’t really tell the difference, so I sold the old one.