Any tech brave enough to do work on a MKIII Mesa Boogie in the north of England?

What's Hot
StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3813
edited November 2023 in Amps
Any recommends for amp techs with the skills? 

Something up with preamp..   still getting sounds through fx return.  Tube swaps not sorted it,

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    How north?

@ICBM is in that Celtic bit just above the north!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• This firm used to do Mesa repairs for Sounds Great, back in the day, so could be worth a try:

https://geemesh.co.uk/
  • No affiliation or prior knowledge, but this came up in a google search: https://www.ampworks.co.uk/tag/mesa-boogie-repair/
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 349
    Jon Dickinson of Dickinson Amps in London is excellent.  
  • How north?

@ICBM is in that Celtic bit just above the north!
    Borders to Edinburgh/Glasgow all in reach 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4071
    spirit7 said:
    Jon Dickinson of Dickinson Amps in London is excellent.  
    There's a London in the north?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    Sorry, I’m not doing repair work any more.

Fretronics in Glasgow are very good though - I think they’ve got the official Mesa repair contract.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Fretronics in Glasgow are very good though - I think they’ve got the official Mesa repair contract.
    Cheers
  • I recently had my Deluxe Reverb serviced by Martin at Stoneham Amps in Newcastle. I don't know whether that's too north or not north enough but he was quick to respond, so could let you know quickly if it was something he could take a run at. He does say 'vintage and modern' amps on his repairs and modifications page. 

https://www.stonehamamps.co.uk/repairs-and-modifications/
  • ICBM said:

Cheers

Just north of Edinburgh, total gent, was the Mesa tech for years until he semi retired, still doing valve amps last time I spoke to him :)
  • Thanks. I’ll get in touch with some of these and have it apart at the weekend for a looksee. Hoping it is just a dodgy valve base.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    A Mesa MkIII is definitely a vintage amp these days.

Think about this... the Mesa Dual Rectifier is now as old a design as the 5F6-A Fender Bassman was when the Rectifier was launched.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another shout out for Dennis Marshall.
    Absolute Mesa guru.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

ICBM said:

They do and I can vouch for them (as if ICBMs blessing isn't enough) because they worked on my Soldano. Cap Job and general once over.

They even diagnosed my bias probes as being the reason for my biasing issues.

They're in a new premises I believe, their own place rather than a workshop in the back of the store they used to be in.
    Another shout out for Dennis Marshall.
    Absolute Mesa guru.

I tried getting in touch with Dennis a couple times the last few years, he wasn't taking calls as far as I could tell.

Great fella though. He repaired a pedal for me years ago.
    ICBM said:
    A Mesa MkIII is definitely a vintage amp these days.

Think about this... the Mesa Dual Rectifier is now as old a design as the 5F6-A Fender Bassman was when the Rectifier was launched.

No. I wont think about that because then I'll just want to pitch myself off one of the 3 Forth bridges. Probably the rail because it's the most historic.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    Another shout out for Martin Ballinger of Stoneham amps in Newcastle, he’s mint.
    Also Dave Coates Audio up nearer Alnwick way, he can fix anything lol.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Thanks..   making contact with some of the recommends.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 390
    edited December 2023
    Stoneham in Newcastle worked on my studio preamp (did some 2C+ mods) a couple of years ago and I think guitar guitar Ncl sent my MkV to Maughan amps in South Shields for warranty repair. 

I had Dennis Marshall mod my mk3 blue stripe to 2C+ around 2018 iirc but when I contacted in 2020 to get some mod details ahead of a sale, he never replied.. Not an expert but I'd presume that up to mk3 it shouldn't be too complicated to work on compared to later models. 

Worth calling your nearest shop and ask who they use; did this with a Bogner and guitar guitar Brum were happy to point me to the local tech who turned out to be the same guy that the Bogner distributor recommended. 
  • It’s with Stoneham now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom