Distortion - Sorry to ask

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited October 2014
    If a TS9 works but isnt heavy enough what about a modded tubescreamer derivative like a hardwire CM2 or something?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Heavier usually means more Gain and in some cases it can completely saturate in a band context. 

I didnt think to ask @gusman2x have you tried rolling back the gain dial at all?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Cirrus said:
    monquixote;385861" said:
    Try putting your amp on a kick back stand as it's a bit easier to hear when things are pointing at your head.
    I'll probably be in the minority here but I really hate the sound of my amp tilted back at my head. The on axis+ distance sound is usually way brighter/ harsher than any other listening position so I always either struggle or mellow the tone out until it's way too dull everywhere else in the room and up close where a mic would be.

Just my personal experience anyway!
    It doesn't sound the best, but you can hear it and when you are playing with people who aren't rock musicians and continually whinge about how loud guitars are it can be the difference between being able to hear and playing by muscle memory.

You have to set the EQ a bit off axis or you will make it really dull.

EDIT: I should also note you don't have to have it pointed directly at your head, just more towards your head than it was and also if you use hearing protection it can disproportionately block highs so it can counteract the tendency to set everything too bright when you have plugs in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    As some others have said, you need to talk to the other guitarist and decide on a sound that works for the band rather than individual sounds...if his too jangly, he'll always cut through more...thats just being selfish to some degree.

I've been through a similar thing. And at one session we spent about 20mins...he turned down his treble and i turned mine up and we hit a good point, where we were both audible but still different in the way we liked.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Providence stampede!!!
    just sounds incredible for heavy crunch tones even with my swart!
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    If you're still struggling after trying all the excellent advice given above, a Seymour Duncan Power Grid may work for you as it has a 3 band active EQ, so loads of boost/cut should you need it and superbly dirty.  Under 50 notes new on the web as well.
  • shady said:
    If you're still struggling after trying all the excellent advice given above, a Seymour Duncan Power Grid may work for you as it has a 3 band active EQ, so loads of boost/cut should you need it and superbly dirty.  Under 50 notes new on the web as well.
    I sold mind for under £15 on ebay. HUGE volume boost and literally cost nothing used
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • meltedbuzzbox;387793" said:
    shady said:

I sold mind for under £15 on ebay. HUGE volume boost and literally cost nothing used
    Great as a really fat rhythm tone, saturated lead sound or just as a super powerful tone shaper into distortion (didn't like it into overdrive as much, pretty nasty!).

It's a grainy sounding pedal but embrace that and play to its strengths and it's quite fantastic.