Is this a gumtree scam?

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
edited October 2014 in Off Topic

Selling an amp on gumtree at the mo.

Just now I get a text message to my mobile saying its from debdowning - no number. the message is as follows

Am I being scammed here or should i reply?

Normally you get a text or email from gumtree - or I would epxect the text to be more specific - like mentioning the actual item not calling it a "Music Instrument"!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/Mobile Uploads/32322FC9-7C12-4AEC-B06E-9DC412C29A0F_zpswccnfjji.png
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Scam.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Total scam.  I'm disappointed, they normally put at least a little more effort in than that.  :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2057

If you can attach a small thermo nuclear device to an email, I'd get back to him. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I'd be inclined to have a bit of fun first.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • how?

Well, at least call his bluff by asking him which instrument he's talking about, for a kick off.

• but wont replying compromise my email addy?
    Send him a text.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    The clue is the vague "music instrument". They probably send out hundreds of similarly-worded ones.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    but wont replying compromise my email addy?
    set up a dedicated gmail account for all these kinds of things
  • good idea!
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I'd be inclined to have a bit of fun first.
    I replied to one of them once, saying that my Les Paul Studio had unfortunately sold, but I had a sausage roll I could let them have for the same price.  They emailed back saying that was fine, and they would send payment via bank transfer to the tune of £500 for my sausage roll.

I sent a few emails making sure they were happy with the condition, as it was past the sell by date but never had been opened, etc.  Took them about six emails before they stopped replying. :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the last one stopped replying after I had offered to give him free next day unicorn delivery service
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom