Fender amp GAS.

siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Just bought one of these...

Always liked the Fender amps for their clean sounds but never owned one. Well now I do and this next Saturday I'll get to gig it and see if I still like it as much as I did in the shop. The drive channel is ok and can boost nice enough, never really noticed the hair trigger volume on the drive channel...sounded great in the shop but back home its less impressive but I'm sure at gig volumes on Saturday i'll be liking it even more than in the shop (loudish but not gig levels).
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2043

If those Kiwis could play rugby as well as this chap can play guitar, they'd be formidable. 

What? Eh? Oh...

I love these amps. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Great gas .. I love those amps .. tone to die for ..:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    even the 5e3 (Tweed) Deluxe have hair trigger vols.. is nothing til 2 than everything all at once... after 4 is just degrees of compression

Trick is to utilise your guitars volume/tone - this is the Tweed secret...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ..mine is the tweed one, thought the black vinyl ones were Hot Rods ? (can you tell I know my Fender amps? ;) )
  • I used to have the deville version. I liked the clean channel but I have to be honest I thought the drive channel was abysmal. 

Nothing a pedal cant fix though :-)
    Great gigging amp though, fairly light and projected like a beast
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • It's a fine amp. Won't let you down, and a love very clean tone.
  • I was waiting for him to do the Haka. Very disappointed! http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/bandmaster188/imagejpg1_zps12d9e3d2.jpg
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 234
    I have the original 94 blues deluxe. I set the volume to 6 and put a volume box in the fx loop - much easier to control
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The only amp I have really regretted selling.  Amazing clean tone and an old fashioned hard working drive channel.  

Oh, and how loud!
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    Is this to replace your DSL? I'm on my phone is it the HRDX? That's my main gigging amp paired with a 1x12 on the other side of the stage.
  • Blues deluxe methinks. I also know nothing about Fender amps having always thought they were a bit...well...not metal enough.

If Sir Axeman has found a Fender for him though, maybe there's one out there for me...hmmm.... 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited October 2014
    I'm more for classic rock type drives really and a glorious clean sound is always a great pedal platform!! It isn't to replace my DSL that's gonna be fixed and will continue to be used!  Probs sell my lesser used TSL122.
    So the eminence speaker in my amp.....what is the consensus on this speaker? Would a greenback be a good upgrade?
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 813
    edited October 2014
    Greenback is 25 watts IIRC - not enough for the Blues Deluxe. Celestion do make a 'Creamback'  which is based on the G12M Greenback but higher wattage. They also make the Creamback H version which is a higher wattage version of the G12H. 

I've tried the G12H in a couple of lower wattage amps (including blues junior) and it's an amazing speaker - if the higher wattage version is as good for blues deluxe then it would definitely be one to consider.

Good swag BTW, obviously :)

Personally I'm very interested in trying an Eminence Cannabis Rex in my Fender(s). 

Ah yes of coarse totally forgot about that 25w rating. put one in my classic 30 some years ago.. back then I was aware that it was slightly under powered. ? But celestions are a bit conservatived rated.....but 40w might be a stretch too much.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I recall that a test in Guitarist mag (obviously open to a little licence) showed the Hot Rod Deluxe (same basic platform and not really very different) to be 'louder' than a 100w Marshall and 4x12.  I know, I know, but it really can be very loud so a conservative power rating on the speaker might be a good idea.  My Blues Deluxe amazed me with it's ability to move air.
  • siraxeman said:
    Ah yes of coarse totally forgot about that 25w rating. put one in my classic 30 some years ago.. back then I was aware that it was slightly under powered. ? But celestions are a bit conservatived rated.....but 40w might be a stretch too much.
    The 65M should be fine then. Maybe the 75H would be a bit too thunderous and overpowering in a BRD, even the 30w H version was pretty beefy in the low end.
    Gigged the amp last night for the first time and it is LOUD. Coarse the other band members noticed it was quite loud out front at soundcheck so I had to turn down a tad. My amp on the clean channel and drive channel when I used it was on 3. The other guitarists amp TSL601 was on 6 on all 3 channels when I had a look at his settings! great amp...quite liked the classic rawk crunch from the dirty channel which isn't very dirty at all. Glorious clean sounds and a nice gritty crunch. That with pedals can do any gig i'll ever do methinks. Good buy I think. Just not sure it will stop me lusting after all the other amps I'd like to try...Mesa Express 5:50 still causes an itch for me as does the Artisan 15...and a couple of Orange amps. Hmmm. Not sure I'm cured yet. We'll see.......
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72854
    siraxeman said:

The drive channel is ok and can boost nice enough, never really noticed the hair trigger volume on the drive channel...sounded great in the shop but back home its less impressive

Easily fixed - put a 'volume box' (you can buy ones specifically for the purpose, or any volume pedal, EQ or anything else with a level control on it) in the FX loop. This is a very well-known issue with these amps at very low volume - I find I can tweak the control finely enough, but below a certain point the tone goes bad as well, and then an EQ pedal is the best solution if you need to run it at that volume.

siraxeman said:
    So the eminence speaker in my amp.....what is the consensus on this speaker? Would a greenback be a good upgrade?
    It depends if you want to make it more 'British' or more 'American'. Personally I don't like Celestions in them particularly (especially not V30s), I think they're better playing to the strengths of the 'American' voicing - a Jensen C12K or similar sounds really good. The best I've found is actually the old Fender Blue Label Eminences they used to fit as stock in 'The Twin' or the high-powered solid-state amps from the red-knob era.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein