Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Blackstar product

What's Hot
LevLev Frets: 228
edited October 2014 in Amps
...not sure if the world (or Blackstar for that matter) needs a new practice amp but here is goes....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's going into a 4x12 and says fly at the end...

High powered, super small solid state or hybrid head gigging solution?

If so, TOP MARKS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It's going into a 4x12 and says fly at the end...

If so, TOP MARKS.
    I'd buy one of those (if that's what it is).

Hmmm.
  • not_the_dj;385984" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

It's going into a 4x12 and says fly at the end...

If so, TOP MARKS.

I'd buy one of those (if that's what it is).

Hmmm.
    Yeah, it's definitely something I'd need to try, space is at a premium...
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    I know Blackstar seem to annoy people - the 'pure valve distortion' hyperbole is probably part of their image 'problem' - but I like their products. They look good, sound decent and are reasonably priced.

I often record using the emulated out on my HT1R and get great results - rather than trying to mic my LSS.

Whatever that is - it sounds good.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    I was thinking the cab was a decoy and it's really just a tiny practice amp, but I guess they have already done that.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Agree, I've got a blackstar ht5 in a tarty colour, it looks and sounds good in comparison to what it costs.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2909
    Had a few of the ht amps and defo not my cup of tea much prefer laney lc15s or vc15s.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72854
    The clean sound in that clip is excellent. Not so keen on the distortion, but that's just one brief example…

It does sound quite a bit less dark overall than I usually find Blackstars.

Interesting, whatever it is!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Some sort of mini-ID head along the lines of a Micro Terror but with a modelling preamp? (ID Core head?)
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7504
    edited October 2014
    I'm hoping... It's a two channel, simple amp that has a valvetronix style power amp (ie a valve is a key part of it, but the hard work is done by a solid state amp). It really does seem to make a difference in those.

Don't care of modelled or not, quite like both sounds in the video, though the distortion has a very bright attack. Not bad, and I'm sure it'll be easily sorted.

Very interested actually. :)
    ID Core head?
    I suspect something like that since the jack is in the top - which is a bad thing, to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Moved to amps...

For me, Blackstar have an unfortunate history of taking products which make me sit up and pay attention, then think "meh" and move on. Not entirely sure this is going to be very different, but I'm ever hopeful...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    TVP in a box ala the EHX Magnum 44?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Clean is nice. Distortion is weak.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496

Maybe it's a small head you can take on a plane with integral effects and enough wattage to do a gig. Dirty sound on that clip is not great to my ears. Clean wasn't bad
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I reckon an ID:5

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17758
    tFB Trader
    I've been really hoping they would do a guitarists equivalent of a Mark Bass head. 

Some simplified amp modelling and a giggable amount of power in a very small box. 

I'd have one like a shot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It sounds like a guitar amp to me
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • monquixote;386176" said:
    I've been really hoping they would do a guitarists equivalent of a Mark Bass head. 

Some simplified amp modelling and a giggable amount of power in a very small box. 

I'd have one like a shot.
    Yeah, this.

A simplified ID. According to @icbm the innards of an id is nothing anyway, so simplify it and it isn't that hard to imagine a mini head :)

A full size id is great for starter covers bands, the Mini one could be ideal for backup or starter originals bands - what with it lacking the programmability perhaps, so it only has 2 channels and FX on/off for each, rather than 128 individual presets or whatever.

ThePrettyDamned said:

According to @icbm the innards of an id is nothing anyway, so simplify it and it isn't that hard to imagine a mini head :)
    It's not nothing, but the innards of an ID60 head would fit in a 2U rackmount casing without even re-arranging anything - and there's still a fair amount of space in the chassis at that - and possibly something about the size of a Tiny Terror if you did.