Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I really want a Blackstar Artisan...should I?

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
GAS strikes!

I'd need to hold off till early next year, but I'm pining for an Artisan. 

I'm a head/cab guy rather than a combo, so I'm thinking about the 30H.

I'd run them into a 2x12 (I've got one with Creambacks and one with Greenbacks). 

So should I?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ahhh I was about to tag you to this post. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7233
    edited October 2014
    I've had both the A30 and the A30H (use the combo now). I can safely say that it's the only amp I've ever played that made me defer from my relentless fender bias. It's beautiful. Furthermore, sounds great on record.
  • you take that back! :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Great amps, combo and head are exactly the same apart from form factor. The head is a good bet if you have a cab as the combo weighs a ton!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I was going to mention that I herniate every time I have to move the combo.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

The head is heavy too! I have both

I may sell the head when it comes time so give me a shout (I use the combo more as although it is heaver it takes up slightly less room in the car)

• Is there much difference between the 15 and the 30? A bit louder I guess but more options / features? Or the same basic tones?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Is there much difference between the 15 and the 30? A bit louder I guess but more options / features? Or the same basic tones?

From the specs I've been reading today the 30 does have more tonal options with the 5 way bass shape shift knob.
  • The 30 sounded significantly better to me, and I played them side by side for quite some time.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    kill two birds - and save on Gym membership!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've had the 30 watt Artisan combo and the 15 watt Artisan combo and I genuinely preferred the smaller of the two . . . The Artisan 30 weighs a ton and it's only got one handle . . . Both great amps though, amazing build quality, amazing tone . .
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Are they not quite different amps apart from the obvious? The 30 has a preamp gain as welll....the demos on youtube suggest night n day apart?
    The 30 has more than one sound
    They both have a "Blackstar" sound though
    The 15 is VERY toppy btw so if you don't like bright amps you may struggle
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 685
    I had a 15 head, very nice amp but not suited to how I work. A 30w is on my very short GAS list.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16307
    It doesn't seem an obvious choice for your rock covers band I would say.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Just read the 30W weighs 35kg - OUCH! My TVP 260 is 24kg and weighs a tonne!
  • It's not even so much the weight alone, more the weight and only one handle.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12004
    thomasross20;390390" said:
    Just read the 30W weighs 35kg - OUCH! My TVP 260 is 24kg and weighs a tonne!
    This is where Head and cab FTW. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom