Electrical-knowledge types - a Q:

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7690
Eh up.

Right so if I were looking to lash up a music source to drive a number of existing powered speakers (sub+satellite domestic things), or run a number of different speakers from a single audio amp, what's a simple way to split and buffer signals as necessary?

Are there things on the market that can simply do this?

ta for any thoughts
Tim
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    If this is a home cinema set up, I would suggest something like a Boss Micro BR and use either the line out straight into a RCA or the headphone out and into a mic in on the amp.

The Boss is quite useful as its small, versatile in terms of inputs and effects and allows you alter the gain where necessary.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7690
    it's office-on-shoestring: c. 5 or 6 areas to get a single audio source
    Red ones are better. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10517

It depends on exactly what you wanna do, if your driving a lot of speakers from a single amp over a large distance then we normally use a 100v line system. If you want to drive a load of amps from a single line source then you can use a line mixer with multiple out , a headphone mixer padded down. You can also passively split signals if there's enough make up gain the other end. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    How far could my Zoom R16 digital recorder mixer thingumy push a line signal reliably?
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    How far could my Zoom R16 digital recorder mixer thingumy push a line signal reliably?
    If it is plugged into a PA or home hifi? quite a lot!

I had a 4 track Zoom recorder a while back, never used the record functions (it was an old cassette type) but used it as a mixing desk into a PA.

Worked a treat and taking it to gigs is perfect as no one wanted to nick it.
    just remembered I have it gathering dust - could potentially use it to send line signals over distance - will check t'connections
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    just remembered I have it gathering dust - could potentially use it to send line signals over distance - will check t'connections
    How did you get on?
    on holiday at the minute - will try it out when we get back 
    Red ones are better.