Egnater Renegade Amp issues.

Hi guys, I am brand new here, first post. I have an Egnater Renegade amp. It suddenly stopped working recently and I am wondering what to do. Cant seem to find any proffessional amp repair people near me.

When switched on there is no sign of power except to the 2 matching valves, 6L6 and EL34. They glow red and soon get hot, no other sign of power at all, no power light or hum. Checked the obvious fuses, all ok.

The only thing I did different that day was plug in a foot switch, which must be a clue for someone. It did not work, unplugged it and the amp did not come on. I was told the switch was compatable, but I guess not.

Any ideas.

Cheers Dave
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73075
    Welcome to the forum Dave .

If the power valve filaments light up but the front panel lights don't come on (which are LEDs, from what I can see in pics online), then it's likely that the low-voltage power supply has failed - this supplies things like the channel switching as well, so without it you probably won't get any sound. If you're lucky there may be an internal fuse for this which has blown - probably on a circuit board inside.

It is possible it was caused by plugging in the wrong footswitch, if it shorted out the switching circuit - although that would imply that the circuit is quite poorly designed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thank you for that, I will check it out. I think it is to much of a coinincidence that the foot switch getting plugged in was not the cause. As you say hopefully there will be a fuse. Many thanks.
  • Take a look at this. This guy is certainly a font of knowledge where amps are concerned. He's got a couple of clips on egnaters so you might be able to glean some useful info where your amp is concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry2C_XEB25c&t=339s
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5459
    If it gets beyound DIY investigation, contact Sick Amps in Harlow (unless that's an unfeasible distance/shipping issue). I was chatting to them about my dead Tweaker, sadly after I sold it for parts/project on here because my previous amp guy said he couldn't get Egnater to supply the necessary parts, and they were most surprised, and apparently have (or had, a year or so ago) a good relationship with Egnator and reckoned they could get most anything.
  • Hi Dave,
    I see you're in Lincolnshire. Music Street in Huntingdon have a tame amp tech and should be able to put you in touch with him if you don't have any luck elsewhere.
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • Thanks for that, watched the video, and I have a small level of expertise, but that sort of diagnotics is over my head. I will check out the pros that have been recommended.

Many thanks again.

Dave