Princeton Reverb 65 Howling feedback

What's Hot
adampeteradampeter Frets: 780
Picked up a Princeton reverb 65 reissue, was delivered today, 
Cannot get the reverb above 4 without it howling and screeching, this happens regardless of guitar being plugged in, and positions of the other controls.
Checked the tank, took it out of the cab, check the tank connections, all did nothing to stop the issue.
Apparently this didn't happen before posting
Any ideas of what to try next before it gets sent back?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam,

If the tank is in a cover, try taking it out...
  • Adam,

If the tank is in a cover, try taking it out...
    Thanks @Wazmeister but i did try this, took out the bag, check connection and springs, etc, checked feet and cardboard, 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    I’ve seen people talking about the transducers coming loose, not sure if that’s what it might be but could be worth a google 
  • Have you tried a different 12at7 reverb driver/12ax7 recovery valve? (I think it’s that way round)
  • Have you tried a different 12at7 reverb driver/12ax7 recovery valve? (I think it’s that way round)
    I haven't but will try this
  • Alex2678 said:
    I’ve seen people talking about the transducers coming loose, not sure if that’s what it might be but could be worth a google 
    will have a google mate, ta
  • Sounds like something has gone very microphonic. Start by just tapping the valves to see if it a bad tube although this isn't necessarily the cause. If the tubes check out ok then just tap around on the board. I had a bassbreaker which rang like a bell if you tapped on one end of the board. It was just a bad joint on a capacitor but anything that allows mechanical interaction can cause the kind of feedback you describe. 
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1542
    I'm based in Ipswich, not far down the 14.

I've the 68 princeton, feel free to give me a shout to pop down with it. You can try my tank, I've a few spare valves which you can use to check. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Try the valve first - it will be the recovery valve if it’s affected by the control level - the valve is the 12AX7 next to the reverb transformer on the side nearest the power valves. If you don’t have a spare, swap it for the one next to the power valves which is the phase inverter and tremolo driver (the same half as the reverb recovery is the tremolo).

If it’s not that, something may have come loose in the reverb tank.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    Is it used or new? 
  • nero1701 said:
    I'm based in Ipswich, not far down the 14.

I've the 68 princeton, feel free to give me a shout to pop down with it. You can try my tank, I've a few spare valves which you can use to check. 

Thanks bud, will let you know if i need your help

• ICBM said:
    Try the valve first - it will be the recovery valve if it’s affected by the control level - the valve is the 12AX7 next to the reverb transformer on the side nearest the power valves. If you don’t have a spare, swap it for the one next to the power valves which is the phase inverter and tremolo driver (the same half as the reverb recovery is the tremolo).

If it’s not that, something may have come loose in the reverb tank.
    Thanks mate, will try this out
  • Is it used or new? 
    used
  • Update- tried a new 12Ax7 in the recovery spot as per @ICBM no change.
    Checked over the tank, looks ok, certainly nothing obvious.
    Mucked around with the controls and found the following.
    Even with the volume on 1 the feedback is there once the reverb is past 4, the volume has no effect on the loudness of the feedback.
    Knock around on the tubes, does nothing, tubes all look fine to me ( being me probably means nothing)
    If i touch both the springs in the tank the feedback stops, if either one is no touched the feedback starts
    If i listen VERY hard i can hear the trem in the background (i think) this seems to be sympathetic (if thats the correct word) with the feedback 
    Gut feeling is the tank, is there a simple way to check this?

The volume will have no effect on the feedback since the volume pot is before the reverb circuit. The tremolo should affect it since the tremolo is afterwards.

If you don't have a spare 12AT7, try removing the driver valve - the one on the other side of the reverb transformer. I don't think it is this, but it's worth eliminating since it's so easy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    The volume will have no effect on the feedback since the volume pot is before the reverb circuit. The tremolo should affect it since the tremolo is afterwards.

If you don't have a spare 12AT7, try removing the driver valve - the one on the other side of the reverb transformer. I don't think it is this, but it's worth eliminating since it's so easy.
    Don’t have a spare 12AT7, do you mean just removing the driver valve and trying the amp without anything in it place? I do have another 12AX7, could I try that in the driver spot?
    TIA
    adampeter said:

Don’t have a spare 12AT7, do you mean just removing the driver valve and trying the amp without anything in it place? I do have another 12AX7, could I try that in the driver spot?
    Just remove it - don't put a 12AX7 there.

• I had something similar with my supersonic, I insulated the tank from the cab with some foam sheeting between the two on a whim and it resolved my issue.
  • I had something similar with my supersonic, I insulated the tank from the cab with some foam sheeting between the two on a whim and it resolved my issue.
    Hi mate
    I’ve run the tank as far as possible away from the cab and sat it on carpet, etc, seems that it does extact the same thing regardless of position 
  • ICBM said:
    adampeter said:

Just remove it - don't put a 12AX7 there.
    I tried both taking out the 12AT7, and also i tried a new 12AT7 in the driver, no change.
    Also tried a different new tank, same issue
    I guess i'm out of amateur avenues and need an amp tech?

Probably nothing but with the tank disconnected if i touch the ends of both rca cables the amp feedbacks