RIP Terry Venables

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3012
    Great character, great football manager. During his time I really felt we would win something, and playing exciting football too. Picked us up and turned us around after the Graham Taylor era before passing on to Hoddle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not a football fan at all but even I know who he is . An iconic figure RIP 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Fabulous manager and coach who was so inspirational and lifted the England Team into something resembling world class at the time.

Lest we forget he was also co-writer with novelist, Gordon Williams of the books and TV series Hazell about a cockney private detective, played by Nicholas Ball - they wrote under the joint pseudonym of P.B.Yuil.

RIP El Tel
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12383
    edited November 2023
    My favourite story about El Tel is the story Razor Ruddock tells to explain what a good man manager he was.  When at Spurs Ruddock's dad was coming to see a game for the time in years, he was determined to play well in front of his dad and said that first half was best football he played in his career, he was playing through balls and taking players on as opposed to his usual hatchet job.  Nayim who was normally the skillful player had a shocker first half.

As they walked into the dressing room in front of the whole team Venables pointed at Ruddock and said what must his dad think coming down and watching you play that bad and to sort it out - Ruddock went out even more determined fpr the second half.  He put his arm round Nayim and said "you were the best player on the pitch son/"

Both had a storming second half.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    One of the most all-round football talents we have produced in this country.

Played for England at all levels, became head coach and developed a team that played good football.

Played for and managed Spurs, and Palace as well, I think. 

Excellent at playing the media game. 
  • Lovely man, great player, great coach.

Played for and managed my beloved Q.P.R.

Actually left Rangers to manage Barcelona !!
  • I saw him both play and manage at QPR. He was the QPR captain as a player and a successful manager - good enough to use his management record at Rangers to get a big job at Barcelona.

When the other team were awarded a penalty, he would stand dead centre behind the spot and use his arm to point and tell Phil Parkes which way to dive - taking the responsibility away from Parkes so the keeper could just concentrate on getting low and over to the goalpost. I've never seen that done by anyone else. A small example of his footballing imagination. 
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    edited November 2023
    RIP El Tel

I remember returning from honeymoon ( Euro 96) and witnessing what I believed was the finest England performance (tactically) against Holland

great coach who was combined that tactical nous with great man management 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    For me he was the best England manager in my memory, I was soooo disappointed when the FA got rid of him. We had a great team and a great manager for a while.

Always a lovely smiling happy chap. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    They say he wasn't a bad 'Sinatra' style singer - Crooner style

96 and it was so close and exciting and maybe, just maybe

I always felt El Tel was only a deal away from something dodgy - Can't recall now what the prosecution/charges was all about  - As Leeds fan I can't say his time with us was his finest moment - But I know he won the fa cup with Spurs, but for many of us it will be the 96 team that will remind us what he was about

• danodano Frets: 1593
    edited November 2023
    Such sad news. I fondly remember Euro 96, I'd just graduated, and was a great time. Terry was a larger than life character, shame he never hot another crack at the England manager job.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I was a member at his private members club in my PR career days... The best England manager bar none. 
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• adaminoadamino Frets: 128
    I remember living in London back in 96' and the feel good factor for Europa 96 was the best ever for English football.