Toroidal transformer - why?

What's Hot
telehacktelehack Frets: 93
I have an early ‘64 AA864 bassman that started out life with a 110v power transformer. It now has a UK voltage toroidal transformer which looks to be of Chinese manufacture. I’ve never seen one of these in a guitar amp. Are they cheaper than traditional ones? Lighter? I know it won’t affect tone, but is there anything to be gained by putting say a Hammond 290ex in there? Thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Lighter and more efficient. I wouldn't be so quick to think it won't affect the sound - it will, since it will have different regulation from the stock type, which will affect the dynamics when driven hard.

I assume it's been fitted by bolting it through a couple of round plates on opposite sides of the original rectangular cut-out - in which case no permanent damage to the chassis should have occurred. If so I would definitely put it back to stock using a correct modern replica transformer, both from a performance and value point of view.

That's a really great and becoming quite valuable amp, and as long as it hasn't been hacked in other ways it is very much worth it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19372
    edited November 2023
    Pretty sure Laney used toroidal transformers in their TT50 & 100 amps, GH's & I believe LC30's too. Noratel  transformers I think.
  • Thanks, @ICBM. The transformer is mounted on to the bottom of the head cabinet. I believe the circuit to now be original but in the past someone installed a send/return on the back panel. Also there’s a filled in hole on the front panel, so not collector grade. Love the amp though.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Pretty sure Laney used toroidal transformers in their TT50 & 100 amps, GH's & I believe LC30's too. Noratel  transformers I think.
    There's certainly one in the VH100R I'm working on. It's pretty substantial.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1670
    The most usual advantage of the toroidal transformer is their lower profile for a given power (VA)
    They also have a lower radiated hum field. They are often touted as being "more efficient" than E/I traffs but in practice this only obtains when they are run close to their VA limit, in a 'class AB valve amp that will not happen (might tho' for a pure class A hi fi amp)
    Toroids do however tend to have better 'regulation' so there will be less PSU sag when you really give it the beans.
    I see no benefit in swapping it for the Hammond 'square' jobby?

Dave.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    I’ve certainly heard, from someone who should know, that toroidal transformers produce less hum.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1670
    edited November 2023
    I do of course bow to the great knowledge of friend ICBM. I did not know the amplifier was a valuable rarity and so yes! If IC says put it back to stock? Do it!

Dave.
    edited November 2023
    telehack said:

I believe the circuit to now be original but in the past someone installed a send/return on the back panel.
    That's a bit stupid - there's no point on an amp which doesn't develop significant preamp distortion.

ecc83 said:

Toroids do however tend to have better 'regulation' so there will be less PSU sag when you really give it the beans.
    I see no benefit in swapping it for the Hammond 'square' jobby?
    That's why I would swap it - you don't really want an overly-well-regulated PSU in an amp like this, a lot of the 'magic' in them is the sound when the power stage is overdriven. (Even if you're using it for bass, as I've discovered with my Bassman 50.)

HAL9000 said:
    I’ve certainly heard, from someone who should know, that toroidal transformers produce less hum.
    Yes, they do - the radiated electromagnetic field is much smaller - but it's only really an issue if you get a single-coil guitar very close to them. The circuit in a Bassman is not inherently hum-prone.

ecc83 said:
    I do of course bow to the great knowledge of friend ICBM. I did not know the amplifier was a valuable rarity and so yes! If IC says put it back to stock? Do it! 
    Not so important if it's had the front and back panels drilled - all collector value is gone really, since they're not *that* rare, although certainly less common than the later AB165 version. It was one of Fender's biggest-selling amps at the time, since it was one of the few proper bass amps made. (Although many pro bass players used the more powerful Dual Showman.)

It would actually be interesting to do it though - just to see how much difference it really makes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8140
    If you wanted to revert, Mercury Magnetics do great Bassman replica power supplies, and 240v versions too. They get a huge thumbs up from
    the Gretsch fanboys. 
  • Thanks for all the input. To make things stranger, the original power transformer is still in there, making the amp heavier still. I don't know why I didn't notice that. I've uploaded some pictures:

The last repair person left his phone number in marker on the chassis! Still in business in Nottingham. I'm not sure what's going on with the two extra jacks on the back that I assume are preamp out, amp in. There's a closeup in the pictures I uploaded.
    edited November 2023
    Ah - it’s not a replacement transformer… it’s being used as an autotransformer to step the mains voltage down to 115/120V - the secondary taps are the wrong voltages for a valve amp. It looks like the transformer from a big solid-state bass or PA amp.

The jacks on the back do appear to be a preamp/power amp insert loop I think - but badly done, the floating caps with wires attached are bad practice and a broken connection waiting to happen.

Almost all the internal caps and resistors have been changed. Also, the ‘original’ transformer is itself a replacement since it has a 1966 1976 date code. (619, 19th week of 1976 - the other code corresponds to a 1970s one not 1960s.)

Edit - reading that back it sounds a bit critical... it's not meant to be, other than of the two unsupported caps - the changed resistors and caps have very little, if any, bearing on the performance, and none on the value since it's already been drilled. The slight surprise is that there are still a few original ones, you would think that whoever did it would just have changed the lot if they thought it was necessary to change most of the ones they did.

It's perfectly OK to use a big mains transformer as a stepdown autotransformer, if it has a dual-voltage primary as this does, and if it's adequately rated - it looks like it should be more than enough. The non-original transformer actually looks like it's from 1976 not 1966 - my mistake. Either way it looks like the correct type.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    telehack said;
    The last repair person left his phone number in marker on the chassis! Still in business in Nottingham. I'm not sure what's going on with the two extra jacks on the back that I assume are preamp out, amp in. There's a closeup in the pictures I uploaded.
    Who is it? Not Dave Hunter by any chance? He's @DJH83004 on here
  • @hywelg - sorry no. I was misinterpreting the phone number. It doesn't seem to belong to anyone current.