Stereo Amp Set up , further shenanigans

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 416
I've just been long term loaned/given a Orange Dark Terror head by a mate so my stereo dreams are back up and running. 
In a bid to keep it compact(ish) I could either use my existing 1x12, buy another cab to fit my 10" VT Jr or get something like the Laney 2x12 and use that as a stereo cab.
 Obviously the 2 seperate cabs can be put further apart for more seperation/seasickness with chorus. Chime in with your opinions but be aware i'm a tight arse so i'm on a budget. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shadyshady Frets: 252
    I use two closed back 1x12's for my at home stereo shenanigans, set a good 8ft-ish apart and angled back on cab stands pointed at my bald head.  Well worth it for the extra spread I reckons.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jamesjames Frets: 50
    I have a stereo amp with two speakers in it, and while it's definitely a bigger sound, it's hard to hear a true differentiation of left and right with my stereo effects. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    I've run stereo effects into my 1936 2x12 and it's barely noticeable over mono to be honest.

With a pair of 1x12s you can set your ping pong delay to the exact size of a ping pong table.
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 416
    2 seperate cabs it is, frankly the idea of a ping pong table width delay setup sold me  =)
    and I cannot wait to run the OBE Beam splitter through a stereo set, might run it through the stereo reverb and split it there

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2287
    I mucked around with stereo whilst I had my Fractal FM9. 

Lots of fun, but quite impractical and not really that ideal for live use. 

Lots of audience members aren’t going to be perceiving the stereo width. So that ping pong delay and chorus that sounds impressive is probably gonna sound more disjointed if folded to mono and in the case of a stereo PA which is fairly common to be fair, people standing near one stack aren’t gonna be hearing the other side very much. 

Sounds mega in IEMs and when you’re standing in front of the cabs. 

The other important thing to consider is as soon as anything becomes stereo, and is output from two positions, you can run into comb filtering, phase alignment issues and general other phenomena that mean the cabs certainly can’t be that far from each other if you want to minimise that kind of thing. 
    I fully agree with you, live it would be a mess I’d imagine, at home though with some brilliant affordable stereo pedals it’s great fun . Plus I’m hoping the beam splitter will sound wonderful split across two amps ( I’ve already run it through my old 2 input usb interface as a stereo split)
    Just looking for a bit of mad noise making.

all advice gratefully taken though, it’s a huge learning curve for me after restarting the learning process a couple of years ago 
  • Tried a couple of variations with this theme. Perhaps the most "balanced" was a couple of 2x12 30W combos split across a stereo reverb/delay. Can get a bit involved matching modulation effects with the delays but there's some good sounds to be had. Also done the OTT with the combos doing left and right and a 100W in the middle just doing the drives. Not very practical but it sounds immense. Good for the giggles if nothing else.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    II only have reverb to worry about as far as modulation goes  (at the moment) , although the octave divider might prove interesting. I'm going to stick with 2 amps for the moment and see what trouble I can get into
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    The Strymon Deco is great fun into two amps. You'll have one amp as the main deck and the other as the lagged deck. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541
    i used a Fender Princeton stereo Chorus into 2 X 4 X 12" Marshall cabs, each one either side of the stage. Massive sound but not something I would be into now. 
    From 2007 to 2022 I used a stereo Marshall rig into a stereo 4 x 12" ... not for the spread but for the independent wet  / dry FOH thing where I had one side of the cab with less effects mic'ed for FOH and the other fairly wet for the stage vibe. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    I’m running a simple stereo rig that finally sounds huge.
    it is a pair of modded Marshall DSL5s

rig is Guitar >Klon clone> Marshall Stereo delay with subtle stereo setting L&R > 2xDSL5 with their own Nux Atlantic rev/delay in their loops.
    one DSL set fairly crunchy, the other set on just broken up tone.
    Result … Huge Sound… so much bigger than both set crunchy.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5027
    Inspired by this discussion, I connected a couple of nondescript amps in stereo via my ancient Line6 POD 2.  And they all sounded great. Valve and SS. Someone mentioned comb filter effect, what does this mean and how could I measure the effect?

The sounds were great, not so sure about the musical content though. Power chords had an unexpectedly ‘open’ sound as did the few riffs that I can (just about) manage to play. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ive had to reset my expectations for a while but i'm still on the lookout for a small second amp to play around with. As for the comb filter effect I don't know what it should sound like, Ive been running split signals into my DAW and using that to process stereo and likewise I find it great. Maybe the comb filter effect is there and I actually like it. Having no experience with it I'm not aware though.