Sir Alistair Darling

What's Hot
BBC News - Former Chancellor Alistair Darling dies aged 70
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67578993

Got dealt a shitty hand and navigated is fairly well. As politicians go a fairly good egg.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    He was my MP in Edinburgh in the 80s/90s - I always thought he was pretty decent and honest for a politician.

Definitely did the right thing in the banking crash - when most others, including Brown, were dithering he realised the implications of failing to intervene. Then Brown took most of the credit anyway…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    edited November 2023

RIP seemed like a hardworking high integrity public servant. We need those. We really do.

As a younger man he looked like a rock star

I know a man that went out with his daughter. Had nothing bad to say.

Stephen Bush on X Your monthly reminder that young Alistair Darling was a  TOTAL HOTTIE indyref httptcoBzXvl9KcgG  X

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18819
    A genuine politician, regardless of tribal polarity.
    A decent man with principles, doing his best in a measured manner whatever the circumstances.
    RIP.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22931
    His chancellorship seems like it was a century ago, but as far as I can remember he seemed like an honest and decent guy.  Quite sad to hear this news today.  RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Yep, my recollections were of a decent, honest chap with integrity….RIP 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    Who in Govt today could even aspire to his standards and integrity? RIP Darling.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7036
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    He was my MP in Edinburgh in the 80s/90s - I always thought he was pretty decent and honest for a politician.

Definitely did the right thing in the banking crash - when most others, including Brown, were dithering he realised the implications of failing to intervene. Then Brown took most of the credit anyway…
    I disagree. Iceland prosecuted the bankers responsible and sentenced 36 of them to a total of 96 years in prison. Not much each maybe but we just maintained our guys' bonuses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24343
    ICBM said:

I disagree. Iceland prosecuted the bankers responsible and sentenced 36 of them to a total of 96 years in prison. Not much each maybe but we just maintained our guys' bonuses.
    A Chancellor doesn't have the power to do that here.

That's up to the AG and the DPP.

It's unfair to blame Darling for the failures of others.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    ICBM said:

Sort of thing you can get away with if not within walking distance of the City and have a population smaller than Leicester.

Darling helped lead a global response to the economic crisis, his job of chancellor of a major economy.

The banks held all the cards at the time, the price was massive limitations on their freedom, most of which were recently removed... by the Tories.

RIP to a fine chancellor, who deserved to have a term or two to do much, much better than the little prick Osborne.  Thanks Britain.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Osborne was however the chancellor that allowed us to take our pensions in ways other than a terrible on the day annuity