Volume Pedals

What's Hot
BradBrad Frets: 675
I've realised I could do with getting a volume pedal in the near future. Are they all created equally or are there particular ones I should check out/avoid?

I'm looking for something good (obviously!) and a relatively small footprint, the size of a wah perhaps?

Thanks in Advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    AMT do wahs and volumes with a small footprint. As far as I know noone is falling over themselves to emulate the SHO-Bud's taper in a pedal with a smaller footprint.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    Brad, Pete Cornish recs the EB6167 used AFTER a buffer

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Ernie Ball junior after a buffer will be fine

Ernie ball mvp might be up your street if you want it first in chain

Don't buy into too much hype, I use a Boss FV500h and have done for years.  I was tempted by the vertex volume because everyone said how great it was.  I did the mod myself (verrrry simple) and tbh, it sounds the same.  The only different it would have been is if it was the only thing in my chain. Because I have a boss TU3 (buffered) it made 0 difference
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited October 2014
    Ernie Ball is pretty much the industry standard (they do a smaller 'Junior' version as well).

One thing I've found, is that you really need to try these things out before buying; their tapers seem to vary considerably from model to model.

I had a Morley many years ago which got very much louder in the last 25% of its travel - I found it almost impossible to do smooth swells with it. I also had a Boss which was much more even but it's travel was quite limited.

I now have a passive Fender which I bought cheap in a sale - which will be a nightmare to repair of it ever goes wrong - but it functions very well.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Mission VM Pro. Active/buffered volume pedal in a Cry Baby size casing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I have the AMT Little Loudmouth 2 and its great. Depends on how much you use a volume and for what, given that a larger footprint is a little easier to use. But its fantastic for offering that functionality and not taking up too much room on the pedal board.

Otherwise, I like the EB VPR Jr.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Don't Vertex make one? There may be some going cheap ;)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    I have a MVP from Amazon.com on the way, works out MUCH cheaper than buying one from here.
  • I bought my Mission VM pro from Musik Produktiv, was about 50 quid cheaper than uk sources. Very solid pedal with buffer, albeit it did have some minor issues that were easier to resolve locally rather than return under warranty.
  • BradBrad Frets: 675
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the advice guys! Think I'll have to try a few out and see how the taper feels etc and work for there, food for thought indeed.

Cheers
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Just got the ernie ball MVP today, $125 inc tax, shipping from the states.  That's like £80?

Nice sweep, good feel, what more do you need? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    Morley little alligator in the loop - i love it!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.