Hugh Cornwell / The Stranglers as a guitar player

What's Hot
CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
Just heard Golden Brown on classic gold radio - simple yet memorable solo.
He never seems to get discussed as a player?
(and again a player with a limited skill set who is surprisingly effective musically).
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7897
    edited December 2023
    I admire anyone who can sing and play. 
    I can do neither. 

Fun fact. Huge Cornwall trod on my fingers in the late 80’s. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I teched for him for a while in late 90s/00s. Was quite a difficult boss (loved his AC30 dark as hell, and knew when youd touched it) but playing that tele a lot was nice. He can play, and has a great musical knowledge. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7897
    I’ve seen The Stranglers live about 40 times, but never since Hugh left. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6091
    I teched for him for a while in late 90s/00s. Was quite a difficult boss (loved his AC30 dark as hell, and knew when youd touched it) but playing that tele a lot was nice. He can play, and has a great musical knowledge. 
    The playing on their first album was very good, definitely a cut above most of the punk bands around at that time. But then, The Stranglers weren't a punk band, it seemed like a convenient bandwagon to jump on for a while to get their name out there. Rattus Noregicus still stands up today - Down in the Sewer is like Punk-Prog!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11876
    edited December 2023
    Hugh is a capable guitarist, and I can only surmise he picked up some guitar tips from one of his early bandmates :-)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    edited December 2023
    Offset said:
    Hugh is a capable guitarist, and I can only surmise he picked up some guitar tips from one of his early bandmates :-)

I'm not clever enough.  You'll have to explain. 
    Not you, surely, you're way too young (and we don't say that very often on the FretBoard).

Edit:  I've Googled it now.  And the man/boy in question is just about recognisable in that picture.
    15 year-old Hugh Cornwell far left.  15 year-old Richard Thompson far right.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    Offset said:
    I would say the lad with the SG is Mark Addy from The Full Monty, but neither the maths nor the geography work.
    Philly_Q said:

Edit:  I've Googled it now.  And the man/boy in question is just about recognisable in that picture.
    I wouldn't have recognised HC, but Thommo is pretty unmistakable even at 15!
  • Offset said:
    And, apparently, still friends. It wasn't just The Kinks who came from Muswell Hill, it seems. Hugh did a couple of numbers with Richard at RTs 70th birthday Albert Hall bash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom