Songs where the bass surprises

What's Hot

Comments

• Queen - Another One Bites the Dust and Under Pressure.

The Beatles - Come Together.

Anything by Motörhead.

Nothing off ...And Justice for All.   ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    Not sure about surprising but as I understood guitar more it always surprised me how busy Bruce Foxton was in the Jam.  Down In the Tube Station being my favourite bass track of theirs.  Flea is a master, at the other end I'm a massive fan of the pixies where Kim Deal played very basic bass lines but they always sounded great and worked for the song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Not sure about surprising but as I understood guitar more it always surprised me how busy Bruce Foxton was in the Jam.  Down In the Tube Station being my favourite bass track of theirs.  Flea is a master, at the other end I'm a massive fan of the pixies where Kim Deal played very basic bass lines but they always sounded great and worked for the song.
    I saw From the Jam last Saturday - Bruce still has his chops despite looking a bit frail. Mind you they had a chap behind the amps with a tambourine and a bass guitar round his neck just in case…..

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Burlesque by Family, played by John Wetton
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3264
    Anything with Richard Sinclair on it.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 265
    Simple minds - waterfront
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 507
    edited December 2023
    Blur - girls and boys
    RATM - bullet in the head
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Almost anything with Anthony Jackson.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3798
    Duran Duran - John Taylor

I’ve spent quite a bit of today laying down the bass for a backing track for Rio.  AI tech means that I’ve been able to isolate the bass on the original recording so that I can hear what’s going on, plus there are some good YouTube tutorials.  But it’s still a monster.  Getting those ghost notes in was a challenge.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2450

Herbie Flowers I think. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Atmosphere - Joy Division

(here New Order but still Peter Hook)

Bloody makes you want to cry this song

• dindudedindude Frets: 8622
    The bass in this is an underrated integral part of the song

https://youtu.be/-PdKGDMhau4?si=w88B-CDun1LDZaZk

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    Dave Richmond on Serge Gainsbourg's Histoire de Melody Nelson...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WeNexb2a8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5316
    edited December 2023
    Rio Duran Duran….during the sax solo. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    munckee said:
    Not sure about surprising but as I understood guitar more it always surprised me how busy Bruce Foxton was in the Jam.
    Foxton's bass is really the lead instrument in the Jam - he carries the melody much more than Weller, who mostly plays rhythmic chords and stabs.

munckee said:

I'm a massive fan of the pixies where Kim Deal played very basic bass lines but they always sounded great and worked for the song.
    We've played a few Pixies songs in my band, and her basslines are apparently simplistic but critical to the song.

John Taylor's basslines in pretty much any Duran Duran song are a huge part of why they're a lot more interesting musically than often given credit for.

The Cure's The Lovecats is one where the bass part really pulls you in too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24993
    I've always loved the way the bass drives Lady Evil by Black Sabbath:

• robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    Not being funny but Paul walks the bass all over the f'n place here while fronting at an arena. Arena shows were still a new phenomenon at this point in history. Cheesy as f but you cannot deny his brilliance, succeeding in a new form and giving Jameson a run for his money 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Bruce Foxton is very humble about his talents, but he really has no need to be. 
    Down in the Tube…is a very well-chosen example, @munckee.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    Paul Simon - You can call me Al - Don't know who the bass player is but great lines

Stevie Wonder - I wish - especially the end/fade out - great groove
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul Simon - You can call me Al - Don't know who the bass player is but great lines

Bakithi Kumalo. South African musician who went on to be Paul's regular bassist. He plays on most of Graceland. 
    The bass solo on Al is the solo he originally played but then played backwards on the tape. Bakithi had to learn the backwards solo for live performances. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom