Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Mature way to play

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    edited December 2023
    I stopped/went off the "must have max gain"  attitude as soon as I started playing in proper (getting paid for it) covers bands  - I was about 19/20 I guess 

"mature playing" for me,   is less notes per second,  more gaps in appropriate places, and sometimes a millisecond early/late  but on time (if that makes sense) and not always in the same place. 

For me guitar playing shouldn't be like rigidly sticking to a recipe, but knowing which ingredients work with others and how the quantity vaires, actively in relation to each other, depending on your taste buds,  that day
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2331
    "Mature" playing makes me think of players like Bill Frisell, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Julian Lage etc. I'm definitely finding that more appealing these days. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10090
    Mick Here uses the clean amp approach, so that must mean it’s the best…

=)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    I'm going to add fuzz to my Helix "youhadme@cello" patch and see if my cello teacher notices.

Fine.

I'm going to add more fuzz to my Helix "youhadme@cello" patch and see if my cello teacher notices.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    I don't think my tastes in guitar sounds have changed much over the years. I never liked high gain back in the day and I still don't.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    Mature? Lol 

No thanks, I’ll stick to the gain ta!
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1140
    Most of the guys I like did there best stuff when they were pretty young so I think I prefer the immature way  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4105

I remember playing the Two Rock live, covering Half A World Away, and I played a clean solo that cut through the mix, and it was SO good I felt slightly overwhelmed by it
    "Sorry everyone, I'm gonna need a little mid-set break"

Reminds me of that Fast Show sketch: "Ooh sorry, I've just come".

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4105
    I can relate to this. When I was a young buck, I definitely overplayed. These days, less is more and it's all about serving the song. Obvs depends on the band, but you shouldn't feel awkward not playing anything during the verse for example. Think like the brass section: compliment the song, don't dominate it.

Regarding tone, my levels of gain have definitely reduced over the years. Edge of break up / light overdrive is my home base these days. More dynamic, clearer in the mix and less overbearing. You'd be surprised at the (lack of) gain even many 'heavy' bands use.

I still love a good fuzzy though, used sparingly.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1656
    Lebarque said:
    I can relate to this. When I was a young buck, I definitely overplayed. These days, less is more and it's all about serving the song. Obvs depends on the band, but you shouldn't feel awkward not playing anything during the verse for example. Think like the brass section: compliment the song, don't dominate it.

Regarding tone, my levels of gain have definitely reduced over the years. Edge of break up / light overdrive is my home base these days. More dynamic, clearer in the mix and less overbearing. You'd be surprised at the (lack of) gain even many 'heavy' bands use.

Fuzz is always something I've struggled with, I feel I get lost in the mix, especially when live. 
  • Lebarque said:

The secret I've found with fuzz is you need to be really loud. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    I wish Alistair was as dirty as my bloody amps....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8974
    Gassage said:
    I wish Alistair was as dirty as my bloody amps....
    Perhaps THIS might work :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11878
    tFB Trader

GoldenEraGuitars said:
    Mature? Lol 

No thanks, I’ll stick to the gain ta!
    I'm with you ... to hell with mature ... I prefer to turn it the hell up and grow old disgracefully. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Jazzy_JakeJazzy_Jake Frets: 144
    edited December 2023
    For me, this is as 'mature' as it gets guitar wise - pulling off improvised intros to ballads tastefully with no gain, no reverb and nowhere to hide. For the gear heads, he is playing through about 20K of guitar and amp though, so not an easy rig to emulate!

• 2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bullshit. Clean guitar sounds like ass. If you're not playing a style that needs high gain just do yourself a favour and play an acoustic because clean electric guitar is one of the worst sounds that exists. If you really must then apply liberal amounts of delay and chorus or phaser.
    Clean guitar does sound like ass, when you use an amp that does high gain well, generally, in my experience.

Best have an amp that's great primarily for cleans.  Even then it's probably not the clean cleans of a high gain head we are talking about.