Wem Watkins and Fender circuits Marshall equivalents

What's Hot
satg64satg64 Frets: 13
Hi, is it true that the Wem Watkins Westminster is the circuit in the Marshall 10 watt popular  amplifier. And the Wem Watkins dominator is the 18 watt  Marshall? And the JTM 45 is fender, bass man ? Is that correct? Because there is an ad now  on the fretboard for  a Watkins amp:  “Hi all, up for sale is my excellent condition 1965 Watkins Custom 15, all point to point wired 18W combo with tremolo” and in the ad it says that Clapton used the 18 watt  Marshall. Which is allegedly from this custom 15 circuit?... But I thought Clapton used a JTM45 2x12 combo. And Peter Green used the same combo, but it was a 4×10 version . I’m asking  this of  @ICBM and any other knowledgeable folks of the fretboard, who can clear up this historical electronic question. Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sw67sw67 Frets: 237
    I Have a MJW 18 Watt based on a dominator and from what i remember the 18 watt WEM came first and Marshall copied.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1670
    To someone like me who 'grew up' with 1950s/60s radio circuits then push pull radiograms, Bell&Howell projectors and 50W PA (factories and cricket grounds) and the earlier 12W valve hi fi amplifiers from such as Rogers Audio, it is pointless to try to unpick who 'invented' what. They all either just looked at Mullard or Brimar or GEC valve data sheets or/and 'the other guy'!!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    The JTM45 is a Bassman 5F6-A copy with different transformers and speakers.

The 18W is a WEM Dominator copy with different transformers and speakers.

The Popular is nothing to do with WEM, it’s a stripped-out circuit to make a barely functional amp with the least possible components.

Clapton definitely used the ‘Bluesbreaker’ JTM45 combo, not the 18W. Not sure about Peter Green, but as far as I know he mostly used Fender and Matamp rather than Marshall.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1670
    ICBM said:
    The JTM45 is a Bassman 5F6-A copy with different transformers and speakers.

The 18W is a WEM Dominator copy with different transformers and speakers.

The Popular is nothing to do with WEM, it’s a stripped-out circuit to make a barely functional amp with the least possible components.

Clapton definitely used the ‘Bluesbreaker’ JTM45 combo, not the 18W. Not sure about Peter Green, but as far as I know he mostly used Fender and Matamp rather than Marshall.
    Yes IC from my limited learnings, Fender started it all off and the rest just rinsed, tweaked and repeated" But then there are only so many ways you can put valve output stages together and have them work reliably! (not so for transistors, there the combinations are legion AND you have NPN/PNP and MOSFETS to throw into the mix. Then, one of the few transistor amps that used an output transformer was the Quad 50E. Love to get my hands on one and experiment with it with guitar.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom