SV20H and ST20H - much circuit difference?

I’m toying with the idea of getting one to use mostly as a clean platform for a valve preamp pedal I really like. 

From what I’ve read it sounds like the ST20 is slightly less bright sounding on both channels so might be easier to dial in, then again I do prefer the look of the SV20 and if it’s largely down to tone stack and bright cap values etc then I would probably look to pick up a second hand one and have it modded for switchable bright caps and whatnot.

Anyone tried both?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    The ST has one less preamp valve I think, and it's a lot cleaner sounding. The SV sounds great, it really nails the plexi sound in a smaller package and won't level a house like a 100w 1959. I prefer it to the bigger ones as the extra compression is nicer and more forgiving to play. The ST is a great pedal platform and definitely has that cleaner earlier JTM sound and feel. Out of the two my preference is the SV but I don't really play cleans or use pedals for drive.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7225
    Not that I use them much but the SV20 has lovely cleans. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975 said:
    Not that I use them much but the SV20 has lovely cleans. 
    Have you got the combo at the moment? Would be great to have a catch-up in the new year if you’re up for it and maybe I could try the Dickinson D1 pedal through it
    edited December 2023
    Absolutely. Finally had it up loud at the High Wycombe meet and it was glorious. Really surprising considering it's a 10" speaker but it totally held its own I felt. 

I fancied  checking this place out if you're up for it? Maybe nab a couple more of us?

https://www.noisypitch.com/gallery

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975 said:
    Absolutely. Finally had it up loud at the High Wycombe meet and it was glorious. Really surprising considering it's a 10" speaker but it totally held its own I felt. 

I fancied  checking this place out if you're up for it? Maybe nab a couple more of us?

https://www.noisypitch.com/gallery
    I’d be up for that! Wasn’t aware of this place, I’d assumed that the borough was pretty much devoid of rehearsal spaces after AScape went under 
    Only just discovered it. 20mins away and just big enough for the sort of guitar silliness we'd all fancy.