SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Price check: Gibson ES-335 w/headstock break?

What's Hot
I'm looking at a part-ex deal against my S2 McCarty against a 00s tobacco sunburst Gibson ES-335 with headstock break.

While I'm comfortable with the break, repair, & effect on residuals, can I sense-check current market 'value' on such a guitar please? Note, it also seems to be missing the OHSC and any case-candy, but includes a Hiscox case.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TDubsTDubs Frets: 732
    I would say at least a 30% reduction on what they’d usually sell for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 713
    This one is for sale one here. It’s a bargain. Headstock break I would knock a lot more off that price. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/256011/gibson-es-335-faded-2006-price-drop-1850#latest
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 536
    edited December 2023
    I'm looking at a part-ex deal against my S2 McCarty against a 00s tobacco sunburst Gibson ES-335 with headstock break.

While I'm comfortable with the break, repair, & effect on residuals, can I sense-check current market 'value' on such a guitar please? Note, it also seems to be missing the OHSC and any case-candy, but includes a Hiscox case.
    ballpark (given the above factors such as lack of original case etc) I'd say around about £1600 with the headstock break.
  • JonPJonP Frets: 48
    Headstock break!!! I understand why a visible break would impact on value - pretty obvious! I have been trying to sell my Les Paul and have “owned up” to an otherwise invisible break, superbly repaired by Andy at Brook guitars. Clearly, the break has stopped the sale - £1350 bargain, but if I had not been honest nobody would have known!!!! 

• bobaccobobacco Frets: 537
    Given the lack of OHSC and case candy, even without the break that’s a knock on the value. Do you have any more details? I’d work it out based around the low-average of the approximate sale values on Reverb, then get a quote from a couple of places for the notional repair cost, and then I’d factor in your time as well. Ultimately, given that you’re handing over (what I presume to be) a perfectly functional guitar and taking all the risk of getting the Gibson fixed, you’d want a pretty good deal. If the trader balks, then they’re well within their rights to get the repair done themselves if they want to maximise the value. 

Another way to approach it is how much you value your S2 (in terms of what you spent or what you’d sell for - or the midpoint of those values) and how much you’d need to spend to get the Gibson fixed - then see if you’d be happy to spend that on a headstock-repaired Gibson with non-original case and no documentation. 

In sum, I’d be looking for a bit of a killer deal in your shoes as you’re taking on all the risk. 

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 380
    i’d suggest to not trade at all. it’s not a guitar you’ll easily move on if you change your mind later. unless you get it so cheaply that you’re not bothered if it hangs. maybe determine what that amount would be 
  • bobacco said:
    Given the lack of OHSC and case candy, even without the break that’s a knock on the value. Do you have any more details? I’d work it out based around the low-average of the approximate sale values on Reverb, then get a quote from a couple of places for the notional repair cost, and then I’d factor in your time as well. Ultimately, given that you’re handing over (what I presume to be) a perfectly functional guitar and taking all the risk of getting the Gibson fixed, you’d want a pretty good deal. If the trader balks, then they’re well within their rights to get the repair done themselves if they want to maximise the value. 

Another way to approach it is how much you value your S2 (in terms of what you spent or what you’d sell for - or the midpoint of those values) and how much you’d need to spend to get the Gibson fixed - then see if you’d be happy to spend that on a headstock-repaired Gibson with non-original case and no documentation. 

In sum, I’d be looking for a bit of a killer deal in your shoes as you’re taking on all the risk. 
    It's already repaired and in good-working order.

All in all, I'm looking at my S2 plus ~£3-400 - I was assuming the ES-335's value is at ~£1.5k, but the lack of OHSC and case-candy made me less sure of that. The break itself is pretty typical of Gibsons, and not something I myself am fussed by - except for being an inveterate flipper/GASaholic and impact on future sales slowdowns as per @JonP ; :mrgreen: 
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 537
    bobacco said:

It's already repaired and in good-working order.

All in all, I'm looking at my S2 plus ~£3-400 - I was assuming the ES-335's value is at ~£1.5k, but the lack of OHSC and case-candy made me less sure of that. The break itself is pretty typical of Gibsons, and not something I myself am fussed by - except for being an inveterate flipper/GASaholic and impact on future sales slowdowns as per @JonP ; :mrgreen: 
    Ah, I’m a complete moron. Haha. As you were!

• pacodelucia13pacodelucia13 Frets: 28
    edited December 2023
    Penn said:
    This one is for sale one here. It’s a bargain. Headstock break I would knock a lot more off that price. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/256011/gibson-es-335-faded-2006-price-drop-1850#latest
    Mine has not a headstock break like you said, it's 1850 cause it's the faded version (finish is not gloss, has no binding on neck, but it has the tulip tuners)