Victoria 5112 vs Swart Jr - opinions?

What's Hot
mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 528
edited December 2023 in Amps
I was idly considering maybe swapping my swart space tone jr (8") speaker for one of the above, mainly because of the 12" speaker in the Victoria, and potential to be a tad louder than the swart. Just wondered if anyone has experienced both and interested to hear any comments. It could be a pointless exercise, not sure. Both are, as I understand it, champ based circuits. Obv the swart has reverb, but both 5 watters. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4105
    If memory serves, @mburekenge and @CloudNine are your guys for advice on the Victoria 5112. I've been sorely tempted myself.
  • Thanks. Interestingly I bought the first of my swart jr's from @CloudNine ;
  • I did find this thread featuring discussion of 5112 Victoria Amps 5112 - Amps Discussions on theFretBoard

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2331
    You may have seen it but there's a reasonably priced one Reverb at the moment (and it's not collection only).

https://reverb.com/uk/item/74871741-victoria-5112-2000s-tweed-champ-with-1x12-jensen-speaker

I could be tempted but reckon 5 watts would be too quiet.  
  • i was in fact eyeing that up

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    I haven't played the Swart Jr, but I have played the full-size AST. I did not like it at all... all mids and no clarity.

The Victoria 5112 is completely the opposite - simply one of the best-sounding amps I've ever heard. The 12" speaker and bigger cabinet makes a *huge* difference - like a completely different amp. It turns a Champ, which is a nice but quite boxy-sounding amp dominated by the speaker, so it always sounds more or less the same when it's turned up no matter what guitar or even pickup you use, into one of the most natural, transparent and responsive amps I've ever played. It's also astonishingly loud for a 5W amp, at least when overdriven - it drops down very quickly if you clean it up, so it didn't really work with a band even though the fully-cranked sound was actually just about enough.

Even the lack of reverb wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, although it usually is. (But you can always use a pedal.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• greejngreejn Frets: 143
    What ICBM said...a fantastic amp which even has great clarity with an archtop or acoustic.
  • The Victoria is spectacular. I agree with everything said.

If I had the opportunity again, I'd go for a Victoria 5e3 for the tone control and extra flexibility with pickup choice.

However, the the feel and sound of the 5112 is unbelievable, whether clean, edge of breakup or full overdrive

The 5112 up full tilt with a strat or tele has to be experienced to be believed 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    Can’t really add much to what the other guys have said, they have covered it perfectly. The Viccy is an amazing thing, the kind that makes you question why you have all these other ‘things’ linked together with cables, that require fussing with and twisting of knobs, when you can just plug the guitar straight into this and have the purest electric guitar experience possible. 

I don’t have mine any longer, but would always welcome one back. I have a Lazy J10 which can almost (but not quite) duplicate that experience if needed, and has a bit more flexibility, but obviously that could burst into flames at any given moment, so I might yet get another 5112.  ;)

The only thing I could note, is that they have a bit of hum, but that is the nature of the beast I think for this circuit and certainly didn’t affect my enjoyment of the amp.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dcgdcg Frets: 247
    I haven't played the Swart, but was a longtime user of a Victoria 5112 (acquired on TFB from @ThorpyFX), which I'd rate as the very best of the refined Champ derivatives available.  Extraordinary overtones from the pine cabinet, and the 12" speaker makes a huge difference.  With a 12" speaker, the Champ becomes a really adult amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom