Hiwatt amplifiers

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
I am thinking of going for a Hiwatt Custom 50 SA212. Has anyone tried one of these?
I am expecting it to be super heavy and super clean. Is there any forum wisdom?

I am looking at combos as I am really not a fan of stacks but open to opinions and information that might convince me that the stack is the only way to go etc

@Gassage I am sure you can give me some info ;-)
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31036
    Yeah sure. Firstly, you need to aim for Hylight era if poss (70-78) Secondly, you need to be pragmatic that the big caps will need sorting- about £175 incl materials, but @icbm will tell you more. Thirdly, it's essential that the huge Partridge trannies are intact as they're a mofo to replace or rewind. Fourthly, you will have purple backed Hiwatt badged Fanes as standard. Do bear in mind you'll get a dr103 and cab for the same price as the SA212. The DR heads are tonally nicer IMO and I cannot tell you why, but they are. Re wattage, there is no real difference between 50w or 100w as the amp is a clean amp....just turn it up or down. Vintage amp forum and Mark Huss site are great resources and the former has an emporium. Pm if you need to.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Add- don't be duped into buying an MG Hiwatt at Hylight prices. Be patient. Going rate for an SA212 is 900-1100. eBay normally sees them at 1250. I bought one for 850 last yr.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Gassage said:
     The DR heads are tonally nicer IMO and I cannot tell you why, but they are. 
    I don't have first hand to base this on, but if that is so why does Gilmour use the combos when recording, not the heads?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Ask him.

He also uses about 40 other amps.

In fairness he'd sound more like him with a shoebox and an elastic band than all of us on here put together.

As it happens, there was a big debate on the Gilmour forum about this - everyone agrees, no-one can explain why.

I know when he plays small venues he uses a Tweed Twin and SA212 together, sometimes 2 of them.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I will have to find one to try out and see whats what. 
    The new ones are scarily expensive so I will be going for the older stuff
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Tbh, my experience lies with DR103s - I'd agree that the 70s ones *can* sound different to the modern ones, the newer ones (pre fall out with the Richardsons and the guy from Ekektric amps - Pete?) sound pretty bloody wonderful. Having had the opportunity to A/B an old against the new... I loved them both and neither sounded 'bad'. And both sounded like you want a 103 to sound...
    But I guess it all depends on how you run your HiWatt - as a pedal platform, either will be fantastic, IMHO.
    Just my opinion, though... :-)

• The skeptic in me thinks that there may be a touch of cork sniffing/mojo/vintage is better etc
    I just want to hear one. In the flesh. 
    Youtube is throwing up some nice noises from all walks of the hiwatt world. 

I just want my cleans clean and I think my evil twin needs a rest from gigging. Its a sorry sight now days
    Seriously a HiWatt will out clean anything IMHO.

• My Scabby old The twin is my bench mark. And I can buy like 5 of them for 50p now days as they are the ugly adopted ginger step child of the amp world. 

Thats probably the nicest, big warm clean that doesn't have that horrible clicky treble top end that most black face fenders have.

So if its like that or even better, I'm in!
    Ugly ginger child... Yep, that was me.

;-)

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    OH how I want a Hiwatt! One o' them 200W ones. And a cab that'll take it.

Alas, I have no use for such a thing and can't be bothered moving it about.
    edited October 2014
    The skeptic in me thinks that there may be a touch of cork sniffing/mojo/vintage is better etc
    I just want to hear one. In the flesh. 
    Youtube is throwing up some nice noises from all walks of the hiwatt world. 

I just want my cleans clean and I think my evil twin needs a rest from gigging. Its a sorry sight now days

Not in this case. You need just to read up on the sad history of Hiwatt, how Music Ground bought the brand and then prosittuted it, how they released unauthorised sig models, how they sent production hither and thither. The MG ones are not so bad actually, especially the early ones, but they are not quite the same, mainly due to the transformer specs.

However, you are very clear about what you want, so responding to that:

1. Yes, the SA212 will do what you want, MG or whatever.
    2. You'll pay the same for vintage or MG.
    3. Vintage DR103 and Cab will cost a similar price to an MG SA212 (so will a vintage SA212)
    4. I talked to a couple of people about the combo v head. The wisdom was that the Head and Cab are more chimey and the combo has slightly more sag.
    5. You could get a silverface Twin Reverb that'll get you very very close to the Hiwatt tones for half the price, if you're not badge worried.
    6. I've emailed a couple of my friends who deal/trade older Hiwatts.
    7. Combo's much harder to find that heads.
    8. Hiwatt original cabs even harder to find and can be silly money, but a Celestion G12 75w will be dandy.
    9. Still, search around and you'll get a cab for £450.
    10. If you see a Reeves amp, that's the best modern alternative, all built by the late Dave Reeves, ex Hiwatt.

edited October 2014
    Add: looked on eBay- there's a head and cab bidding at 800 currently. The cab is not great, but decent - 1300 for both tops, there's 2 combos, an overpriced over described 1974 (1200 tops) and a white reissue, which you might just get cheap- say 1000 tops. Can't link as on iPad.. Despite what I said re MG I'd go white combo for your needs if you could get it sub 900-950. The other combo has been messed with a lot more than the seller says. I started a thread on it and @icbm shredded the description of the amp.

• You could look for a Harry Joyce too, or a Matamp GTH which are allegedly close to Hiwatt stylee.
  • Considering how much everyone loves Gilmour, why are there not many hiwatt clones out there?

Genuine question, a boutiquey kind of clone would be ideal - new amp, warranty, sounds similar (the same... It's a clone) and super tidy wiring (maybe not quite as anal, mind). Expensive, perhaps, but it means you don't line music ground pockets.
    There are a few- Hitone and Reeves being the more notable. I've no idea really- good question

• davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    There's Mywatt over in Germany too.