Converting AC30 combo to Head - new panel possible?

What's Hot
JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
I have recently bought a korg era ac30 which is fantastic. I am getting a head shell made for it though as it is simply too big and heavy for me to cart around as a combo.

Anyway, I have loved the look of suede covered two rocks for a while now and so am looking to get a head shell made with a suede covering. Unfortunately the tan coloured suede that I like visually doesn't go with the coppery/ purple panel on the ac30. Is there a way to afix a new panel to the chassis without any permanent damage ie reversible for if I ever wanted to turn it back into a combo? If so, does anyway know who / where I could go to get a new face plate / panel made? 

Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    Shouldn’t cause any damage as far as i know - usually held on by the mounting hardware for the pots and jacks
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3215
    tFB Trader
    Didn’t Status Quo house AC30 chassis in Marshall heads? 

But yes, it’s possible. Modulus is the faceplate king.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Alex2678 said:
    Shouldn’t cause any damage as far as i know - usually held on by the mounting hardware for the pots and jacks
    The power and standby lights will be the tricky bit - I can’t remember exactly what they’re like on the inside. The rest are all nuts accessible from outside.

Personally, I wouldn’t think the purple panel and tan covering would look wrong together at all though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1670
    ICBM said:
    Alex2678 said:
    The power and standby lights will be the tricky bit - I can’t remember exactly what they’re like on the inside. The rest are all nuts accessible from outside.

Personally, I wouldn’t think the purple panel and tan covering would look wrong together at all though.

I wouldn't give a **** so long as it sounds alright!

Dave.
  • I wouldn't bother changing the faceplate. The audience can't see it anyway on an AC30.
    I wouldn't bother changing the faceplate. The audience player can't see it anyway on an AC30.
    FTFY

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RiftAmps said:
    Like the OP’s amp, they were the first generation Korg AC30s I believe, and were made in the Marshall factory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    RiftAmps said:
    Like the OP’s amp, they were the first generation Korg AC30s I believe, and were made in the Marshall factory.
    Yes. And unlike most other AC30s, the chassis configuration is perfect for them to fit in a standard Marshall headshell. The only slight problem is that the faceplate width isn't quite right for the cutout in the Marshall box, so it looks a little odd at the ends where you can see the bare chassis.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    Thanks @Jonathangus, the faceplates from modulus look perfect! 

You are right about the LED's etc @ICBM , I hadn't thought about that tbh. 

FYI I'm planning on rehousing it so that the controls are on the front, like in the photo @ICBM posted and like the head in the background of this video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNm1j593jI&t=132s

So you will see the faceplate. 

It seems like quite a lot of faff to sort out a faceplate, working around the LEDs etc so I think Ill get the amp rehoused and if the faceplate bugs me I may end up getting in touch with Modulus later down the line. 

Thanks for all the help guys! 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2620
    tFB Trader
    Jtaylor said:

So you will see the faceplate. 

It seems like quite a lot of faff to sort out a faceplate, working around the LEDs etc so I think Ill get the amp rehoused and if the faceplate bugs me I may end up getting in touch with Modulus later down the line. 

Thanks for all the help guys! 
    Yes, We offer this service and yes it can be quite a lot of faff if I don't already have the faceplate artwork. I don't have the artwork for this amp.
    We could have made the cab and the faceplate and done the whole job for you in one go though with the amp here, which would have been the easiest route.

• JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    Thanks @Modulus_Amps, if you are able to sort it all out in one go that would be great! I'll send you a dm shortly.