Any Benson Chimera Owners Willing to Let Me Try It Out?

What's Hot
JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 184
Thinking about getting a Benson Chimera, but it's a significant investment. Unfortunately, no UK shops have them in stock, and since I might import it, I won't have the option to return it if it doesn't suit me. So, if anyone here owns a Benson Chimera and wouldn't mind letting me try it out, I'd appreciate it! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Isn't the Benson Preamp pedal based on the Chimera circuit? It might be a cheap-ish way to see if the overall tone is to your liking. They come up fairly regularly secondhand (I know because I keep almost buying one!). Fuzzdog also do a kit version.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 184
    Thanks @BlackbirdCabs, I believe you are right. I don't own a preamp pedal currently but have played one and thought it sounded immense which is why I'm thinking the Chimera might be a great amp for me. It is still a lot of change to throw at an amp having only played a pedal though, but I may have no choice but to take a leap of faith
  • keirkeir Frets: 146
    I had my eye on a chimera for a while but nowhere has them in stock. It’s non-master volume so could be difficult to get into the spot you want it without an attenuator / re-amper which obviously adds to the cost. 

I saw that they had released a Monarch Plus which is their 15w amp and it has power scaling making it look much more usable so maybe a chimera plus is in the pipeline. 

You can get a mixwave plugin of the amp so that might be worth a look on trial / purchase to see if you like it. 

Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The mixwave plugin has become my headphone practice amp - ended up selling kemper as I think it’s that good so worth a try to get a feel for what I imagine the amp would be like. I use the benson boost and preamp with it and it’s a great combo
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 549
    edited December 2023
    You can order one through Andertons as they are one of the official dealers, I enquired about their Monarch Reverb plus and they quoted me £3,999 which I thought was too much, duties and dealer cut comes into place too but still that's a hefty price.

Sadly Benson's are extremely hard to find, even harder across the pond, I did like their Vinny Reverb was a gnarly beast for a small 5 watter.

I don't know how's the Andertons policy of return for a special order item but it's worth to ask! 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 794
    edited December 2023
    I really want to try one of these - Jessica Dobson of Deep Sea Diver uses one and talks a lot about it in her Rig Rundown video. Worth a watch. The lovely , gnarly percussive tones in some songs like Impossible Weight are down to it I think. 

I imagine it's a simple circuit - this might be one of those times we're a clone might be an idea (but would vastly prefer something from the original builder at a reasonable price point)...
  • teiscoboyteiscoboy Frets: 28
    Where are you based JellyBelly? I have a tremera (chimera with trem) and 2x12 cab
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 794
    Alas, Manchester, but I appreciate the gesture @teiscoboy . Fair to say you like it??
  • teiscoboyteiscoboy Frets: 28
    Yeah @JellyBelly , killer amp