Vintage speakers for a Marshall-type plexi worth it?

What's Hot
I run a Divided by 13 JJN50/100 (their take on a plexi, more classic than the other hot rod types you see) through a Marshall 2061cx cab. I've moved through a few different combinations of M and H type speakers, settling for now on the cream H75's.

It's the only bit of gear I own where I feel like it could be optimised with a different speaker. Having recently sold a few pedals I've got some funds to go down that road. 

If you had say £400-500 to spare, do you think it would be worth it to buy some vintage speakers for this cab? I could buy a whole new cab but really like the build quality and the diagonal format of the 2061cx. Marshall's best modern cab in my opinion. 

For those who would answer yes - would love any advice on a particular type/year. I know nothing in this arena. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    No, I would buy a pair of Heritage G12H-30 55Hz. Having been through a lot of speakers and a lot of cabs for the guitarist in my band, these were pretty much universally the best-sounding in a 2x12". I do like the G12M-25/G12H-30 combination as well, but if anything I think the plain 2x G12H-30 just beats it.

Must be the Heritage not the 70th Anniversary ones, they're not the same. It does limit the cab to 60W though - although that will be true for vintage speakers as well, or even lower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve always liked the early eighties Celestion G12-65’s. Kinda like a beefier greenback.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 380
    Didn’t the 2061cx cab originally come loaded with a Heritage M/H combination?

• Thanks @ICBM, @Petepassion - I have had both the anniversary G12H-30's and the current production G12-65's in it at different stages. Will have a look into the heritage version. 

@breadfan - originally the anniversary G12H-30's. 

• I don't know what impedance you need but there's a pair for sale on Reverb at the moment (I'd like you to buy them so that I don't!)
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• Brek01Brek01 Frets: 7
    edited December 2023
    need to really really know what your looking at with vintage gear. A minefield for sure. I have a celestion 20s that i bought for £300 with a pulsonic cone and run my PT20 into a two note then into it. For home use its awesome. would love another to make a 2x12 but not seen any come up for sale.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2614
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    No, I would buy a pair of Heritage G12H-30 55Hz. Having been through a lot of speakers and a lot of cabs for the guitarist in my band, these were pretty much universally the best-sounding in a 2x12". I do like the G12M-25/G12H-30 combination as well, but if anything I think the plain 2x G12H-30 just beats it.

Must be the Heritage not the 70th Anniversary ones, they're not the same. It does limit the cab to 60W though - although that will be true for vintage speakers as well, or even lower.
    This was exactly what I was going to say, the Heritage G12H is a great speaker and non of the other G12H type speakers sound like it does.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5106
    breadfan said:
    Didn’t the 2061cx cab originally come loaded with a Heritage M/H combination?
    They originally came with two G12H30 70th Anniversary speakers. I’ve had two of those cabs and used them with 2061X and Cornell 18/20 Plexi heads and they sounded brilliant, I never felt the need to change the speakers at all.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 370
    From memory the G12H30 is a speaker of choice for /13 cabs; Creamback too. maybe one each? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    Catthan said:
    From memory the G12H30 is a speaker of choice for /13 cabs; Creamback too. maybe one each? 
    No point really - the power ratings are too dissimilar to get the best from both of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5106
    edited January 5
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1530

The thread is about vintage speakers. Not brand new replica cabinets built in Doncaster.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom