Recommendations for starter electric drum kit.

What's Hot
My son who’s 7 did his first performance this week as a drummer in the school band, playing 7 Nation Army. His timing is better than mine. 

He wants a set of drums for his birthday in Feb. I’d like to get him something that will see him through if he really gets in to it. Any suggestions? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve recently been looking into this for a youth group in a small hall at my church. It would seem the Alesis Nitro Max is pretty much the standard for entry vs quality vs features. It depends on your budget. 

My daughter did get a full acoustic drum kit 2nd hand for £140. I tried to go down the electric route but was steered away for ‘feel’ reasons. If you’ve got space & neighbourly patience then I think it is a good choice. If he has a drum tutor they may be a good person to chat with about picking up a bargain. (I’m looking at upgrading the ride - it’s a dangerous path!)
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7350
    Everyone I've spoken to has said don't get an electric to start on, but when you've got the neighbour from hell surely electric is better than nothing?
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2201
    Acoustic is not an option unfortunately. I thought the mesh drums were pretty decent now. £200-300 budget. 

Alesis looks good but I heard Roland might be better. 
  • Having mucked around on my daughters set I can see how you get a feedback from acoustic drums that is good to experience however I’m fortunate to have the circumstances for that. 

I believe more expensive Roland’s do win but you’re up to £1000 before that happens. The Alesis Nitro equivalent Roland is the TD-02. So it’s off to YT for a few reviews maybe see if there is anywhere near by to take the lad for a try out… you know that the best one will be the most expensive though :)
  •  I have an Alesis Nitro kit. As I got back into drumming during lockdown to give me something to keep my self moving. I find this kit to be versitile and enough built in sounds, metronomes and sound loops to keep me busy.I especially like the mesh heads. No need to worry about the neighbours or stealing all the towels and duvets to stuff the shells. I can quickly lift the frame out the way if I need the space.
    Tech has moved on so much. For your money this is a great starting point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Traps A-400 which I've put mesh heads and low volume cymbals on. Takes up little space, but sounds like a full acoustic with proper skins. I picked up a battered old frame for next to nothing and then expanded it. The Traps guys were super helpful when I was sourcing the bits I was missing.