Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone else agree?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1548
    Digital is shit, until you need a long reverb but don't live in a castle. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guyinlyon said:
    Gadget said:
    I'm old enough to have used cameras with no electronics whatsoever. You clicked a lens onto the front of it and started shooting.
    Nowadays I get messages like "lens failed to initialize"! FFS

If you didn't load a roll of film into it, take a light reading with a separate meter (or successfully guess) and set the exposure, and focus the lens you'd probably have gotten a big old batch of nothin'.
    And don't get me started on remembering to take out the dark slide before making an exposure...
    but digital photography is demonstrably better, the Fender amp that won't boot up is tech for tech's sake surely?  If your digital multi effects into an amp goes crapola, you still get to play on....
    Contrary to public opinion I'm near Manchester and Huddersfield and not near the M20!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786
    eatapeach said:
    guyinlyon said:
    Gadget said:
    I'm old enough to have used cameras with no electronics whatsoever. You clicked a lens onto the front of it and started shooting.
    Nowadays I get messages like "lens failed to initialize"! FFS

If you didn't load a roll of film into it, take a light reading with a separate meter (or successfully guess) and set the exposure, and focus the lens you'd probably have gotten a big old batch of nothin'.
    And don't get me started on remembering to take out the dark slide before making an exposure...
    but digital photography is demonstrably better, the Fender amp that won't boot up is tech for tech's sake surely?  If your digital multi effects into an amp goes crapola, you still get to play on....
    If your amp goes crapola you can go direct with the digital fx unit, you still get to play on...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a very cool Volvo sports car (I know how unlikely that sounds).  It went like a rocket, but about once every six months the computer that ran most of it - from the steering weight to the collision detector to the braking, transmission and engine management - would go utterly nuts.

The solution was easy enough.  Disconnect the main battery (it had two) and after ten minutes it resets and reboots.

That is all very well in Europe.  You really don't want to be stationary in a Volvo next to a South African township.

I now drive a far dumber car, but my life expectancy has improved.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7661

The solution was easy enough.  Disconnect the main battery (it had two) and after ten minutes it resets and reboots.
    That is all very well in Europe.  You really don't want to be stationary in a Volvo next to a South African township.
    I would have thought the Chacma Baboons up the hill could be trained to do the job in return for some food.  Probably easier and less dangerous for them than robbing people coming off the bus or using bent coathangers to break into homes and potentially be facing a 410 shotgun or Uzi once inside  :)

One of the guys I worked with bought himself a fancy Jaguar.  On most cars when a tyre drops in pressure you get an annoying alarm and a continual display on your dashboard, but you can still drive it.  His Jag wouldn't allow him to drive it until he inflated the tyre and performed some sequence with dash controls to reset its clever computer.  We thought it was bad driving into a carwash and having the handle break off your sliding sunroof, but at least it was usually an easy fix after you dried out the car's interior.  Along came electric sunroofs and made it a hell of a job to trace and fix a non-working one, and rear-view mirrors that were manually adjustable with a lever from inside only cost about a tenth of electrically controlled ones when some knob tore off your mirror.  Cars now brake all by themselves when you are building up speed behind a slower moving vehicle for a quick and efficient overtake, and fancy sensors to dip headlights falter and blind other motorists.
  • guyinlyon said:
    My fridge has WiFi connectivity, FFS! What’s all that about? Apparently it can send you a message if the freezer temperature goes too high. Great.  My f@cking FRIDGE now has the ability to ruin my holiday, a privilege previously reserved for my children.

If you're unlucky to have bought an Internet Of Things fridge just don't connect it to your home's WiFi and it'll never bother you.
    I haven’t, but I’m affronted that anyone even came up with the idea of internet connectivity for a fridge. 
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 131
    timbuk02 said:
    Is there a postal version of The Fretboard?
    No, but I think it's on Ceefax.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guyinlyon said:
    If you're unlucky to have bought an Internet Of Things fridge just don't connect it to your home's WiFi and it'll never bother you.
    I haven’t, but I’m affronted that anyone even came up with the idea of internet connectivity for a fridge. 
    I'm okay with the modernisation of kitchen appliances.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guyinlyon said:
    My fridge has WiFi connectivity, FFS! What’s all that about? Apparently it can send you a message if the freezer temperature goes too high. Great.  My f@cking FRIDGE now has the ability to ruin my holiday, a privilege previously reserved for my children.

Yeah, just pay extra for that crap for nothing  ;)
  • eatapeach said:
    but digital photography is demonstrably better

Not if you want your photos to last.
    A photo on film will, properly processed and preserved, last 200 years or more (it's been tested). Digital? Who knows, but they'll probably disapear in the great hard drive crash of 2032.
  • FezFez Frets: 539
    Loads of Passwords now multi factor authentication arrrg! If only the wazocks who do the hacking would do something useful instead of hacking learning to play guitar could be a start.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Modern life is far too complex for me, I like to try to keep things as simple as possible, work hard through the week. Then pleasure…My old 335, old valve amp, playing originals in a three piece, good food, JD and good sex…Simple’s.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    I got fed up with technology after the 1st Line 6 pod kidney bean….
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    Technology is constant in my life so it's nice to put a record on or plug into a tube amp