Anyone gigged a boss katana ??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
Been using mine for practices when I’m too lazy to bring much.I’ve got the 50 watt combo. 
easy to use and sounds good. I wondered if anyone had gigged with the 100 watt version with a decent cab ??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I played the 100 club a few years back and took my Marshall 100w Superlead, Marshall Powerbrake and 4x12 Greenback cab, but used to keep my 100w Katana head in the van for back up.
       I decided as we started loading the gear on stage that I couldn't be arsed with the big heavy head and attenuator, so used the Katana head...it sounded great and few would have noticed the difference.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    Here's a link to my lengthy, detailed and often tedious thread on the subject, containing lots of useful debate from players of different styles. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116545/boss-katana-100-gig-report/p1
  • Lots of people have gigged with the Boss Katana 50 mk1 & Mk2 combos.
    Check out Rich Biscoffs many live gig YouTube videos.
    The 50 is plenty loud enough.
    The Katana 100 Mk2 combo is excellent if you need more grunt as is the Katana 100 head through a multitude of cabinets if needed.
    The Katana bass combos are both also brilliant IMO .

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    Loads of people have done so.

I used to have one and thought it was great for what it was especially if you need all the amp and FX in one box which you aren't too upset if it gets a pint poured over it. 

I have a DSL now and it's clearly a cut above, but I'd still gig a Katana for pub rock without too much bother.
  • You can use the Katana foot pedals with the latest Katana 50 combos which is a real bonus .
  • Loads of people have done so.

I used to have one and thought it was great for what it was especially if you need all the amp and FX in one box which you aren't too upset if it gets a pint poured over it. 

I have a DSL now and it's clearly a cut above, but I'd still gig a Katana for pub rock without too much bother.
    Loads of people have done so.

which DSL do you think is a cut above?
    Ive got a few DSL heads and combos and don’t think they are a cut above my Boss Katanas.
    They just sound different.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    DSL40CR

It's personal opinion but the drive sounds are just much better in my book. The reverb is much better on the Katana though.
  • DSL40CR

It's personal opinion but the drive sounds are just much better in my book. The reverb is much better on the Katana though.
    The reverb on the DSL40CR puzzles me. It’s digital not spring so why is there so little of it even with the mix up full? Is it just so that it doesn’t compete with the JVM? 

What there is of it sounds fine but it’s just like 100% on the mix sounds like 30% on any normal reverb. Given Marshall did a pretty decent sounding reverb pedal a few years back I’m surprised they didn’t stick in a simplified version whereby the one knob has varying amounts of spring/hall/plate etc like most of the modelling amps do. 
  • I’ve gigged a few times with my MK1 100W and venue provided 50W. These amps can get LOUD. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    I had the Katana 100w MK2 and gigged it once, it wasn't for me, it didn't sound great. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    Used a Katana 50 Mk1 at a jam once. What seemed loud enough in isolation somehow managed to get hopelessly lost in the mix.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I gig a 50w mk2 in 2 different acts, it’s slightly underpowered for my power trio but I do mic it up in that act.
    in different duo ( 2 guitars) it holds its own 
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1165
    edited December 2023
    When they first came out I gigged 2 Mk1 50w Katana combos in stereo. It was epic. I ran them clean with pedals.
  • had my katana mark 1 , 100w combo since 2018 and gigged it about 300 times. sounds best on the 100 watt setting and use the master vol to set level and dont touch it after that.
  • We used to regularly get them as backline if a festival didn't want to spring for the traditional Twin/Hot Rod combos. Usually meant a reliably loud and passable if boring clean sound I could use as a base tone - I think you have to have time to be able to dig into them to get the best out, but as far as 15-min-changeover plug'n'play amps go I've had a lot worse. Found the attenuator didn't do much for me so just left them up full and then master to taste with a dash of reverb. 
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 180
    Use my 100w MK2 all the time. Done loads of gigs with it. Spent a good 5 hours in a rehearsal room getting patches and levels right and haven't touched the setting since. Just turn up, plug in and play. Its so good I bought the head too as a backup