SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted: PRS McCarty (regular, Soapbar, 594, hollowbody all considered)

What's Hot
AlunAlun Frets: 135
edited December 2023 in Guitars £
UPDATE: All sorted now, thanks to everyone that got in touch!

Hi folks, just thought I’d see if there was anyone out there considering moving one of these (or similar) on? Massive bonus points for satin finishes or rosewood necks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6071
    Limited edition S2?

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlunAlun Frets: 135
    dazzajl said:
    Limited edition S2?

Very cool but I already have one pink guitar! Also kinda prefer the looks of the SE 594 to the S2 personally. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6071
    I don’t know enough to know what the difference is, off to look now. 

Happy hunting for the right one. :)
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 997
    I've had a core 594 with a gloss neck, awesome but not a patch on the 2000 McRosie that's replaced it. Definitely worth holding on for the solid Rosewood neck if you can find one.
    As already said, "happy hunting".
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Grampa said:
    I've had a core 594 with a gloss neck, awesome but not a patch on the 2000 McRosie that's replaced it. Definitely worth holding on for the solid Rosewood neck if you can find one.
    That’s the dream, always wanted a rosewood necked PRS and thought I’d just test the waters. Really good to hear the insight, thanks!
  • Alun said:
    Grampa said:
    That’s the dream, always wanted a rosewood necked PRS and thought I’d just test the waters. Really good to hear the insight, thanks!
    I was always of this opinion and you will see that reflected across numerous posts. However, there is a tone difference that might not necessarily be desirable. Warmer, for sure - but I now prefer a bit more bite, tone-wise. 

The oiled neck feels glorious. Saying that, a stripped mahogany neck feels just as good, my PJE Macon being my favourite neck. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    Alun said:
    Grampa said:
    I was always of this opinion and you will see that reflected across numerous posts. However, there is a tone difference that might not necessarily be desirable. Warmer, for sure - but I now prefer a bit more bite, tone-wise. 

The oiled neck feels glorious. Saying that, a stripped mahogany neck feels just as good, my PJE Macon being my favourite neck. 
    Yeah I do hear that it’s a distinctive feel and sound but I’ve just always wanted to give it a go. Generally place more importance on the shape of the neck than the finishing though personally! Played plenty of gloss necks I’ve liked as well. 
  • Alun said:
    dazzajl said:
    Limited edition S2?

Very cool but I already have one pink guitar! Also kinda prefer the looks of the SE 594 to the S2 personally. 
    Just in case you’re won over by smokeburst then…

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251047/for-trade-prs-mccarty-594

Just in case you’re won over by smokeburst then…

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251047/for-trade-prs-mccarty-594

Very much a fan of charcoal but again, S2 doesn’t appeal all that much. Love the Vela but not so much the other models. Sorry! For the purposes of this thread I’m looking more for Core series instruments.
  • I'm lucky enough to have two McCarty's with Brazilian Rosewood necks, I like them a lot though there is definitely a change in the tone, softer for sure. The plainer one on the left is pretty much the best sounding electric guitar for cleans I've ever played.

Worth saying the 594 feels quite differnt to the standard McCarty, I much prefer the 25" scale length, but both are very good guitars.

They don't come up all that often but it's worth the wait, happy hunting!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Odd really. I never really liked the BRW necks on the PRSi I owned in the past
    I'm lucky enough to have two McCarty's with Brazilian Rosewood necks, I like them a lot though there is definitely a change in the tone, softer for sure. The plainer one on the left is pretty much the best sounding electric guitar for cleans I've ever played.

Worth saying the 594 feels quite differnt to the standard McCarty, I much prefer the 25" scale length, but both are very good guitars.

They don't come up all that often but it's worth the wait, happy hunting!
    Two lovely guitars right there but also playing a very strong armchair game, haha. Lovely backdrop for guitar pics! And thanks, keeping my fingers crossed. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 372
    I'm thinking about selling this 2018 McCarty 594, It looks like it's a rosewood board. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7202
    icu81b4 said:
    I'm thinking about selling this 2018 McCarty 594, It looks like it's a rosewood board. 

A rosewood fretboard isn’t a rosewood neck though - just to clarify terminology.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    icu81b4 said:

A rosewood fretboard isn’t a rosewood neck though - just to clarify terminology.
    Actually I think the board is Katalox, Which is also called Mexican Ebony, although it's looks more like rosewood to me than ebony., it feels nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    icu81b4 said:

Not usually super keen on the dark smoke burst type finishes personally - if it was regular faded whale blue or similar then it would be much more up my street! 

The pic's Anderson took did make it look quite dark,  Here's another. Faded Whale Blue.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alun said:
    Alun said:
    Grampa said:

Yeah I do hear that it’s a distinctive feel and sound but I’ve just always wanted to give it a go. Generally place more importance on the shape of the neck than the finishing though personally! Played plenty of gloss necks I’ve liked as well. 
    I have a McRosie IRW Standard with gold hardware (only one in Europe I'm told) and an ME1 which is nice apart from the RP pickups which are a bit 'average'.  My current gigging guitars are an original Nitro Smokeburst with 57/08s and a CE22 with P90s.  IMHO the CE22 is a very under-rated guitar. Fabulous maple neck and a light but resonant body.  The phrase "rings like a bell" is over-used but this one really does.  FWIW, I didn't really bond with the 594.  Seems a bit 'plasticky' If I had to pick one 'do it all', it would be the Nitro McCarty.  Never disappoints.
    uncledick said:

I have a McRosie IRW Standard with gold hardware (only one in Europe I'm told) and an ME1 which is nice apart from the RP pickups which are a bit 'average'.  My current gigging guitars are an original Nitro Smokeburst with 57/08s and a CE22 with P90s.  IMHO the CE22 is a very under-rated guitar. Fabulous maple neck and a light but resonant body.  The phrase "rings like a bell" is over-used but this one really does.  FWIW, I didn't really bond with the 594.  Seems a bit 'plasticky' If I had to pick one 'do it all', it would be the Nitro McCarty.  Never disappoints.
    Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing! And haven’t seen a CE with soap bars before, sounds cool. 

I had spotted a McCarty trem with 57/08s and also wondered about the recent satin CE run with those equipped, but in all the demos I see I really love the sound of 58/15 LT’s, but both are certainly options…
    Guessing I’m not going to find the one this time around, but will give this one final bump to see if it catches anyone else’s eye.