Small form factor Dual Overdrive

What's Hot
CyberlawyerCyberlawyer Frets: 116
Hi All,

I'm after some pedal advice. In a band setting most of my drive sounds come from my Amp (moderate overdrive from Suhr Badger 18) and I use the guitar volume to clean it up, but I also use a Keely katana boost when I need to kick it up a notch and a King Fuzz for some raw fuzz insanity.

Due to a need to free up some space on my board to fit a wireless receiver I was looking to go to a dual OD pedal (preferably in the same size enclosure as the King Fuzz.

The obvious choice seems to be a Wampler Dual Fusion as its certainly capable of getting the levels of drive I'm after, sounds superb and is really well built. The major down side is its £255 (ouch!!!!!). So any other options?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    There's a Hot Wired on the classifieds. 

There are a couple of bargain T-Rex Pedals on Thoman at the moment which are essentially Moller and Mudhoney clones.

If you want loads of options you could try a Nova Drive. 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    edited October 2014

The Nova Drive is 130 x 130mm - about two TC pedals side by side, with no gap between them. All connections are at the back.

On its own, you can use It in 'manual mode' as two separate pedals, with series/parallel routing options, or store presets and scroll through them with a dial. Or use the presets in bank mode. In the latter, the preset dial scrolls through the 9 banks, and the switches select patch 1 or 2 in each bank rather than switching the OD or Dist sections. Using the presets means you can set up dual pedal sounds and use the overall pairing of pedals and routing as a single sound. I use it with the 3-way footswitch (6 banks of 3 patches each, and the pedal switches scroll the banks), but the switch takes up quite a bit of space.

I don't think either of the pedals on their own will do a fuzz sound (I haven't tried), but there is certainly scope for masses of saturation when routing one into the other. Plenty of output, too - levels on about 1/3rd roughly matches the bypassed guitar volume (PAF-alike pickups).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Thanks. Nova Drive is out as its just too much complexity and tweakability. When it come to guitar I'm very much a one nob has one function kind of guy.

Will look at the Hot Wired, any other good choices?
    tFB Trader
    The Fulldrive and GT500 are probably too big. 

The Blackstar LT Dual sounds alright, but is definitely two variants of the same sound.
  • zVEX bor!
    tFB Trader
    Also the box of rock is an OD / Boost though it's sideways so it's size may or may not be useful depending on  how your board is laid out. The Double Rock is even better, but really expensive. 

tFB Trader
    Oooo also Bogner Red and Blue are great, but expensive. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Custom clone based build? Not necessarily silly money. Genevieve, for example, seem to do a few 2 in 1 pedals in either the BOR format or bigger ones, I'm sure the builders on here would tell you what possible. Boost + fuzz in one box sounds a doable thing.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Goosoniqueworx 7thvn. I love mine, only downside is it sounds best at 12vDC rather than 9vDC. All the Youtube demo s make it sound more metal than it is amd the lo gain (green channel) is very dynamic.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    edited October 2014

BYOC do a dual TS clone, which is in an MXR-sized box.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    Custom clone based build? Not necessarily silly money. Genevieve, for example, seem to do a few 2 in 1 pedals in either the BOR format or bigger ones, I'm sure the builders on here would tell you what possible. Boost + fuzz in one box sounds a doable thing.
    That was my instinct. Either 2 simple pedals in 1590A boxes, or if you're more confident of what you want put 2 circuits in one box the right size. pedalparts.co.uk often do custom builds
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Although not an overdrive as such, the Koko Boost Reloaded has two modes, altered with the single footswitch, and is the size of a normal single pedal?
  • Thanks for the advice. Custom build could be a good idea. Any recommendations as to who I should contact?.
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    @Juansolo has done some amazing multi pedals with loads of stuff in them. 

I also expect @thorpy6 could do you one or @handsomerik or @badgerific, or @4114effects

I've had pedals from the first three of those names and they were all great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Also shouldn't forget this double drive made by a forum member:

http://www.fredric.co.uk/king-of-klone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    I've got a boss od20 that I might be tempted to sell.