Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

PayPal Payment Scams

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
edited December 2023 in Guitars £
I was recently contacted by someone requesting to buy my little 1W amplifier. Now that happened to be on Facebook marketplace; however, the scam is applicable to anywhere you may advertise your stuff for sale.

The buyer asked me for my PayPal details and shortly thereafter replied:

Hello the mail I received from PayPal says the confirmation of the payment has been sent to you via email check your email box if you did receive any confirmation from them?

By which point, I had received the email below: (please note that it’s a scam, and it’s not from PayPal).

I replied: I haven’t received any PayPal payment from you, just a scam email

The “buyer” immediately left the group.

I’m sure many of you know this already, but for those that don’t, look carefully at the email address from where the email supposedly from Paypal has been sent. There lies the simple clue that it’s a scam.

IMG_8117.png 427.8K
IMG_8120.png 400.9K
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is extremely common on FB marketplace. Scammers will ask for PayPal detail or bank details to send payment before their brother/sister/mother/father will collect. 
    They then try to send you down a rabbit hole to get you to send them money so the payment clears. 
    Best is to just ignore them. Most of the reply’s are copy and paste jobs so easy to spot them after you have had a couple. 
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 899
    Thanks for sharing, seems obvious that PayPal wouldn't be using a Gmail account but these kind of things can be quite convincing so good to be aware.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pjfpjf Frets: 347
    Scammers are cruel and heartless, stay vigilant (especially over Christmas) everyone and keep a healthy dose of scepticism over anything that looks “off”. 
  • Heey I just started a thread about this on off-topic. Anyone know whether there are possible ways to scam the scammer after they've sent the money by using a new/burner paypal account and transferring the money out/buying crypto or something?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1246
    tFB Trader
    dhankotb said:
    Heey I just started a thread about this on off-topic. Anyone know whether there are possible ways to scam the scammer after they've sent the money by using a new/burner paypal account and transferring the money out/buying crypto or something?
    They never actually send you anything at all, their scam is trying to get you to send them money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dhankotb said:
    Heey I just started a thread about this on off-topic. Anyone know whether there are possible ways to scam the scammer after they've sent the money by using a new/burner paypal account and transferring the money out/buying crypto or something?
    They never actually send you anything at all, their scam is trying to get you to send them money. 
    Typical!
  • RevMatt said:
    Thanks for sharing, seems obvious that PayPal wouldn't be using a Gmail account but these kind of things can be quite convincing so good to be aware.
    Unfortunately or unknowingly, some people don't check those details as carefully sometimes. The scamer may also register a domain that looks almost like the original, except for one character, your eyes just don't notice it sometimes. It's good to be reminded every so often though, sometimes even I get too complacent. 
    Feedback here
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3691
    www.paypaI.com  =)
  • Bats_Bats_ Frets: 83
    Another good tip is use give them your PayPal handle instead of email address, it will stop that fake email getting to you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 332
    I have gotten this scam each time I post anything for sale, even on reverb. They send you an 'offer' that is your exact asking price and then try to do this. If you're selling ANYTHING, you should never have to pay to sell it or recieve money. Paypal has been around long enough that they can fix 'little problems'.
    I usually reply joking them around or tell them to stop being a loser and get a life :)
    Good luck out there, it is sad what human nature has become
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 122
    PayPal will always use your name, not "Dear Customer"
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3492
    You might want to edit out your email address from the OP as this is an open forum. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    Clearly a scam but I don't get it. Aren't they asking for the buyer to add the extra 200?
  • FenderBenderFenderBender Frets: 21
    edited December 2023
    (edit, made some additions to provide other things that were red flags)

For awareness...To add a 'different' paypal scam, I was nearly scammed last night. Actually I would have been, if the payment went through.

Firstly he asks to move the conversation to email, for a 'quicker response'. (I've done this at least once before with no issues, this time must be fine right).

I was paying by Friends and Family (as I've done in the past, but have to reconsider going forward), but he gives me a different email address to pay to.

Then paypal said I had to pay £2.99 to send the payment. Never happened before. A quick Google shows this may happen if the paypal account is international. On telling the seller, he then offers to pay the fee (how generous, but does not offer explanations).

DESPITE alarms going off in my head, as I was on a mobile I said I would wait until I was home to try on my computer. I then get a different paypal message (seems they may have been made aware?). I message the seller about this, he says try his wife's paypal email account. I was curious, so I tried and got same message.

I offer to pay by bank transfer and I raised some concerns with him...of which the response to me is 'Why the lack of trust in society', and he offers to ship me first. Again, does not address my concerns. Shipping first would be great, but that means I have to provide:
    -my full name
    -my full address
    -my mobile number

Everything a scammer could use to impersonate or research me elsewhere etc.

The moral of the story, it is better to lose out on 'buying' that guitar than possibly lose your money.
    If that initial paypal transaction went through, I would have been affected. But the fact at least one other forum person said they also tried to send money, means its not just me who was gullible and this seller would have gotten us all to pay.

We were too caught up in the frenzy of getting that guitar, and did not think straight and too trusting of people on the forum when there were clear signs to be wary. We also did not raise concerns immediately to moderators or other users. A long time forum account can be compromised.
    Feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    edited December 2023
    Also, please, people, ask the seller to take a photo with a piece of paper on it with something written on it like “horse’s arse” or today’s date, or anything else unique, to prove they actually have the item, which is at least something. 

If that pisses them off, well, they didn’t have the item, did they. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Also, please, people, ask the seller to take a photo with a piece of paper on it with something written on it like “horse’s arse” or today’s date, or anything else unique, to prove they actually have the item, which is at least something. 

This is a requirement for FS ads on ukuleleunderground - bit of paper alongside the instrument with username and date. Not remotely a hassle, so might be worth making it the norm here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    If someone "new" is selling something for a few hundred quid cheaper than it should be then it's likely a scam. There are no great deals out there anymore.
  • FenderBenderFenderBender Frets: 21
    edited December 2023
    LPManic said:
    If someone "new" is selling something for a few hundred quid cheaper than it should be then it's likely a scam. There are no great deals out there anymore.
    That is the thing though, in my case the user was not new. That username first started 7 years ago. And they had other sales threads through the years with some marked sold. What was also a red flag, which may just have been a coinidence, is that they had no trading feedback. A user of 7 years, with stuff sold, definitely should have at least one feedback left for them.

And also, there are a few great deals 'sometimes' (to me atleast). I missed out on one last year, it came back around this year, albeit a bit higher price but I was made fully aware of what the situation was. And the seller did everything above board.

But I agree, if its a 'new' user, then it could be too good to be true unless you are doing that deal in person in a safe way.
    Feedback here
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 311
    barnstorm said:
    viz said:

This is a requirement for FS ads on ukuleleunderground - bit of paper alongside the instrument with username and date. Not remotely a hassle, so might be worth making it the norm here.
    This is a good idea… I will start doing this whenever I post anything! 
  • barnstorm said:
    viz said:

Ransom demands. You cant beat 'em!