A controversial amp joins my lineup ...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• i recently picked up a valvestate 8080, for about £70. really pleased with it, gigged it a couple of times so far. Only disappointment was that it wasn't in as good condition as seller described but it will do. He also didnt tell me the reverb dont work but its something i will try and sort out, even though i don't use it live.   There does seem to be plenty of bargins out there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11106
    edited December 2023 tFB Trader
    i recently picked up a valvestate 8080, for about £70. really pleased with it, gigged it a couple of times so far. Only disappointment was that it wasn't in as good condition as seller described but it will do. He also didnt tell me the reverb dont work but its something i will try and sort out, even though i don't use it live.   There does seem to be plenty of bargins out there.
    An 8080 rehomed in a 'Lead' head 

https://youtu.be/frCPzxKJ-ME
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 345
    Had one.  Glad you’re enjoying it, but I hated mine…

I then bought a TSL 60 as my first proper valve amp.  Questionable choices made at uni.  
    tFB Trader
    spirit7 said:
    Had one.  Glad you’re enjoying it, but I hated mine…

I then bought a TSL 60 as my first proper valve amp.  Questionable choices made at uni.  
    https://youtu.be/DkZv1jcp1KE

Doesn't sound too bad in this ... 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I had an AVT 100 combo. I now know they've got a terrible reputation for unreliability but mine always worked flawlessly. Perhaps I was lucky, but it did its job and sounded fine.  Bloody heavy though, that's a fair criticism.

I chopped mine into head and cab, then sold the head and used the cab for a bit with an HT20 head I had.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 556
    I used to gig a VS100R . Sounded great and was bullet proof. Weighed a tonne though :)
    tFB Trader
    bobblehat said:
    I used to gig a VS100R . Sounded great and was bullet proof. Weighed a tonne though :)
    Weight is the main issue with this one ... insane 

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    Let's be honest, we are all keeping an eye on this thread to see if it's gone on fire ....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    bobblehat said:
    I used to gig a VS100R . Sounded great and was bullet proof. Weighed a tonne though
    Weight is the main issue with this one ... insane ... like it's got enough gravity to draw lunchbox amps to it and keep them in orbit. 
    I had an AVT 100 combo. I now know they've got a terrible reputation for unreliability but mine always worked flawlessly. Perhaps I was lucky, but it did its job and sounded fine.  Bloody heavy though, that's a fair criticism.

I chopped mine into head and cab, then sold the head and used the cab for a bit with an HT20 head I had.
    Jetfire said:
    Let's be honest, we are all keeping an eye on this thread to see if it's gone on fire ....
    It's going great guns at the moment, checked, serviced and being used pretty much every day for pickup testing. 

This amp has a fair old online reputation for bursting into flames ...

however 

https://youtu.be/z9F9dWkCXhg

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    I bought a Marshall MG30 about five or six years ago - it was just so inexpensive I couldn't let it go even though I didn't need it at all. It was about ten quid or something on eBay as no-one was bidding. I had it just so I could jam if a few friends had come over.

It's completely usable in that context and doesn't sound terrible at all. Now my daughter is starting to learn guitar she has it. We'll have to see how it stands up when the inevitable garage-band forms!