Microsoft Surface?

What's Hot

Anyone got one? I'm getting totally fed up with Apple, iTunes, and it's iPad that I can't plug a damned thing into, and wondered whether the Surface would be a better bet. I know it's bigger, but I don't see that as a problem.

Actually, I'm getting pissed of with the iPhone too.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    We use them in work a lot.  I'm not the biggest fan... it's windows 8, so if you don't like that, don't bother.

Also, it is a full pc, so a lot of apps don't work because they recognise it as a PC, whereas a lot of PC programs aren't designed for use on such a small screen.  Although, this wouldn't be a deal breaker for most, it is just that we use them for a rannnnge of applications.

Also, the ability to right click is fucking witchcraft, as it changes from program to program... 

However, I'm sure it has many fans, and the students never complain about them so it might just be me ;)  They are built like a tank, and hold charge very well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The Surface Pro 3 looks very interesting. Pretty expensive though, but not compared to an iPad I guess.

I'm interested in some sort of laptop/tablet hybrid at some point.
    My V key is broken
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I not fussed about Windows 8, I don't have the same gripes with Windows as some here who are more computer literate and savvy than I am. As for apps, I don't really use a lot of them, my iPad has two pages of them, most of which are the Apple supplied ones anyway.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I'd quite like a Surface - need a ultra-mega-portable pc type of thing running a windows variant for taking to tutorials for running the software they'll be talking aboot... but... the Surface is many many monies and I don't have many many monies... :( 

So, will probably end up being a very underpowered celeron laptop because they're cheaper than chips. (assuing you buy a LOT of chips)
    Ooooh, I hadn't looked at the price. Bloody hell, they are a bit dear, aren't they? Hmmmm, might have a bit of trouble convincing my boss I need one, in that case!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27288
    What is it specifically that you don't like about the iPad?

(also, you can put any unused apps in a folder so you get down to 1 page if you want to)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    You can't plug anything into it. USB, SD card, data cable, or anything else. Transferring data is a pain in the arse. And iTunes can eat my shorts, it's the biggest pile of shite software ever to have been produced. My Amstrad PC was easier to use, and brain surgery would be a doddle by comparison.

Will that do?

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474
    You can't plug anything into it. USB, SD card, data cable, or anything else. Transferring data is a pain in the arse. And iTunes can eat my shorts, it's the biggest pile of shite software ever to have been produced. My Amstrad PC was easier to use, and brain surgery would be a doddle by comparison.

Will that do?

Bit pricy though !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474

Oh and with you on itunes, thats a pile of crap try Copy Trans manager it's free and you don't get all that sync rubbish, just add files or delete them as you wish
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited October 2014
    I'll give that a Copy Trans awhirl, ta! I've tried the adaptor thingys before, and none of them worked reliably, some not at all.

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Thanks to Dropbox, e-mail or other cloud apps (Mendeley is great for journals), I cannot remember the last time I plugged my iPad into my laptop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom