Center Parcs or Forest Holidays

What's Hot
So as a post PhD break we are looking at having a few days break in Center Parcs or Forest holidays. Any experience of either at this time of year?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    Much less going on at Forest holidays IIRC. Centre Parcs much better off season ( ie don't go next week - it's half term) as it's cheaper and quieter. Over priced for what it is IMHO but they do what they do well. MrsTheWeary quite keen on going back so I might cost it up for around her birthday in March.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Love CP, we have one just 30 mins down the road so go there probably once a year or so. Feels like you're miles away from home, but only 30mins post holiday travel!

Agreed, it can be quite expensive (though there are last minute deals to be had), especially when you start adding in activities, but the 'tropical swimming paradise' is free and you can spend quite a few hours there just chilling out. Nice just to spend time walking around too, if activities aren't your thing. Plenty of eating in/ out options too with the on site shop and multiple restaurants catering for all different tastes.

Looking at your location of Brizzle, I'm assuming you're thinking of Longleat (which is my local). It's great, but be prepared for hills!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Going to Center Parcs.

*giggle*

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mumsnet love Centre Parcs
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mumsnet love Centre Parcs
    I'd forgotten about that ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Just remember, it is better to give than to receive.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't like our holiday in Centre Parc. We paid for one of the more expensive chalets but it was quite tatty and not very clean. 

The parc felt claustrophobic - the only open space was the edges of a lake. The rest of the time you're either in the wood surrounded by chalets or at the big swimming pool/restaurant area. It all felt very crowded - you could have the same effect by staying in the tent of a mall car park.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think you can pay a premium now get one of the newer or reconditioned lodges..

but be sure and mention it to your wife as according to mumsnet that means anal then a blowie.. without using the penis glass.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    There is a CP not too far from here, been a couple of times. It is expensive for what it is and if (like me) you live in a semi rural environment it doesn't seem that big a deal living in amongst trees. But being able to cycle with the kids day or night without the risk of being clobbered by a motor vehicle (but beware other cyclists) is a bonus and feels quite pleasant. The pool area particularly and activities generally are good and you can be 'over the limit' for days on end without a care in the world.
    The Monday to Friday (4 nights) deals are quite good away from school hols. But it still matches or exceeds the cost of lots of foreign holidays in Europe.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3108
    We've been to Sherwood twice and Whinfell loads of times (got to be 10+). Very expensive but good fun. We always book 2 or 3 activities per day before we go then add/subtract as we go. Halloween is always good too - fancy dress is almost a requirement in the Village Ctr. If I hire a bike I always regret not bringing my own - just depends on how many of us are driving up. Sports bar is brilliant for seeing something then booking yourself on - I tried roller skating again for the first time since the 80s this summer. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I don't know, my wife's family love center parcs but I always feel a bit imprisoned. It doesn't start off well when you have to drive through the booth that's like a delousing chamber. People tend to look like they're trying to have a nice time but are just a little bit too stressed to manage it, like animals in a zoo.

Have a nice time.
    Use Your Brian
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I can't imagine anything worse than going to a Center Parc. I'd feel like something from 'The Prisoner'.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I can't imagine anything worse than going to a Center Parc. I'd feel like something from 'The Prisoner'.
    I hear they're opening a CP in Portmeirion, specially for you. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    So as a post PhD break we are looking at having a few days break in Center Parcs ...

Going to Center Parcs.

*giggle*

Brings a hole whole new meaning to the phrase "post-doc position".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So we booked Center Parcs.

A big part of it is that we could both do with a few days of being cut off from technology! Even if we're a bit bored/closed in we can just enjoy being somewhere different with a box of dvds, and given that we'll bring all our groceries it works out quite a cheap break.

Plus I showed her the Mumsnet Center Parcs Anal thing and she didn't dismiss it out of hand...
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

So we booked Center Parcs.

I showed her the Mumsnet Center Parcs Anal thing and she didn't dismiss it out of hand...

<:-P
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    That's Portmeirion surely. 

So we booked Center Parcs.

A big part of it is that we could both do with a few days of being cut off from technology! Even if we're a bit bored/closed in we can just enjoy being somewhere different with a box of dvds, and given that we'll bring all our groceries it works out quite a cheap break.

Plus I showed her the Mumsnet Center Parcs Anal thing and she didn't dismiss it out of hand...
    WTF? Is this some kind of disgusting amateur sex video these women share on that website of theirs? 

:-O
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Centerparcs is good. You'll have a great time. I like it now and again, we often go in a big bunch, and just have a laugh with the kids, get drink ride around pissed and crash into bushes. Good fun.

For peace and queit and getting away from everything though, I'd have neither. Cabin in the countryside would do me, or one of HEather Cottages at Budle Bay, Bamburgh. THey back onto the beach, and there's naff all around but sand and sea, with a pub about a half hour wal down the beach. I'll have that.

Forest HOls look shite - you've made the right choice I think.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4948
    When I worked for my last employer, the company paid for us all (four families) to go to CP at Sherwood for the last week before Christmas every year - it was our Christmas bonus.

The kids loved it - they were never out of the pool or the Pancake place.  Our Maud loved it - she stayed in the chalet, did SFA except read.  I loved it - went to the country club bar every day and played snooker.  

In the evenings the boss either did a huge home-made curry night, or took us out to one of the restaurants.  It must have cost a small fortune.  Happy days!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    Nitefly;398951" said:
    When I worked for my last employer, the company paid for us all (four families) to go to CP at Sherwood for the last week before Christmas every year - it was our Christmas bonus.

The kids loved it - they were never out of the pool or the Pancake place.  Our Maud loved it - she stayed in the chalet, did SFA except read.  I loved it - went to the country club bar every day and played snooker.
    Did you go for the difficult brown or the easy pink?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom