Myxomatosis

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5500
I was sitting down just now tinkering with an old tune of mine from perhaps 45 years ago, written long before I knew any theory beyond what you learn in a few years worth of classical piano as a child. (Mayor and "minor" scales - by which they actually mean "harmonic minor" but nobody tells you that until some higher grade I never got to.)

Anyway, it mostly rocks between two major chords a whole tone apart (it has a couple of key changes but the riffs simply repeat in, for example, A instead of D).

D major is clearly the home chord, and these days I know that it is in D Mixolydian, rocking between D and C for the main part of each verse before going to Bb. Liker this:

D C
D C
D C
D C
D C Bb
D C Bb
D C Bb
Bb Bb D

All majors. Later on we do the same only using A, G and F, and sometimes other keys (if I feel like it).

Now the bit I'm confused by. D Mixolydian is the 5th mode of G major. That's clear enough. But when I go to the Bb I'm (if you want to think of it this way) borrowing a chord from G minor. 

How do we describe that? Is there a proper way?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited December 2023
    It’s a borrowed 6th chord from D minor. 

Loads of blues rock is written in mixolydian with the “b6 chord”, for example, Unchained by Van Halen. 

Btw, once you’ve established the home note of a song (in this case D), it’s not that helpful to refer to its relative Ionian mode, which has very little to do with it. Like you say, your song is “in D”, or to be more precise, D Mixolydian, and that b6 is borrowed from D minor.

Let’s hear it!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1883
    I thought you were looking for Vetinary advice when I first saw the title.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16120
    Seems like you're going down a Rabbit- hole to me
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom