The Old Man In The Mirror

What's Hot
I wrote this on Christmas Eve after catching my (depressingly unattractive) unshaven reflection in the bathroom mirror.

at least I got a song out of it…

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7350
    WOW!  That is absolutely beautiful.  Your voice is splendid, and especially controlled when you sustain a note.  The guitar accompaniment is subtle but really tasteful, and I love the tone of the guitar in your lead fills.  I love the song and everything that went into it.

I really hope you don't mind me drawing a likeness here, but there is something quite reminiscent of Brad Paisley's style in a few of his slower songs.  It's the storytelling phrasing and clever pauses that make your song sound vaguely similar.  Although your voice isn't the same (better I think), I could easily have heard him singing that song and assumed it was one of his own compositions, and I have to say that I really like Brad Paisley.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Great song, well played and you have a fantastic voice. Enjoyed the listen. 
  • Brilliant! Fretboard Forum New Year no.1! Is it protected in some way as I could see a big name pro artist putting that on an album.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That's fantastic ... WOW! awarded.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27641
    Beautiful stuff Jay.

You should enter some stuff in the challenges here.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254773/composition-challenge-39/p1

:)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 321
    Very nice indeed  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    This is genuinely professional quality - it wouldn't sound at all out of place on Radio 2... sorry if that labels your target audience :).

Great song, great playing, and some beautiful arrangement and production.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 828
    edited January 1
    Thank you for your most gracious and kind comments :) deeply appreciated
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    jaymenon said:
    I wrote this on Christmas Eve after catching my (depressingly unattractive) unshaven reflection in the bathroom mirror.
    I like that only the reflection is unshaven - as if it is the reflection's fault. This notion reminds me of Tom Waits' The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.