Have yourself a belated little Christmas

Really not comfortable with “plugging” my stuff.  I’m just getting used to recording and desensitizing myself to red light syndrome.  Not too far removed from not wanting to play in front of anyone at all.  Have to remind myself that I just love music and that’s alright.  After 3k posts, might as well do something to prove that I at least try.

This is for Judy, Elliott, and @viz who I actually owe much more.

https://on.soundcloud.com/9MX8p
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    edited December 2023
    https://on.soundcloud.com/SHFGcRDFhJgXyr289

stupid links

forgot to mention, I had to change guitars part way through.  One guitar is an old fashioned hollow body archtop, the other an ubermodern solid body “shredder.”  Curious to know who’s picking up on where I patched it up and which guitar is which.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1037
    Good job, well done.

Only observation is that it seemed to have been recorded very quietly.

Even with the volume at 100% on my phone I struggled to hear it.

Nice tone and feel though. Well done.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1659
    100 wizs for putting yourself out there. Love the chord melody stylings that you've chosen. I'm listening on the laptop, so very un-critical, but was the change around 1:55? Not the world of difference in the sound. It seemed maybe eaiser for you to play, but harder to get the note "bloom" as the first section.

With the style of the piece, you may like flatwound stings if you haven't tried them already. Reduced finger noise and much smoother chord transitions I find. The thumpy lower strings also help with the chord voicings. At least, I think they do!

Well done matey, what a great way to finish the year on a high. You'll be inspiring others (like me) to do likewise next. :+1: 
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    Thanks to both of you.

@GoFish you aren’t far off on the patch time but spot on with the flatwounds.  I’ve just put them on the archtop a few days ago after this recording.  I was having two problems with that guitar when recording (I’ve only had it for a couple weeks and it’s a 60+ yo guitar) — the setup wasn’t great and the neck is chunky, so my wrist was killing me after 20-30 minutes, and there weren’t any side dot fret markers so I kept messing up.  But now that’s all resolved.  I’ll try to get a flatwound version down.