The Guitar Show 2024 - 2nd & 3rd March

What's Hot

Comments

• chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    Had a great day with the two teenage shedders. Really good show Jason. Managed to catch a couple of live acts which were great.

I think we spent over six hours there, really good they let the teenagers play everything including a 5k esp! They had a great time one picked up a used evh guitar.

I got a jet guitar in gold...

Good day out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1396
    Great show @Jason ;

Great to see @Gassage ;
    Had a nice chat with Mrs @ThorpyFX ;
    Always good to catch up with @guitars4you ;
    Nice to meet @digitalscream face to face

stand high light for me was @IvisonGuitars - those things look even better in the flesh than the photos and great to meet in person. 

Tbh, there was nothing in the electric genre that struck me for innovation but I did like having a chat to the guys on the https://emeraldguitars.com/ stand. Impossible to gauge what they sound like (coz of all the background noise) but these are a 1 piece carbon fibre thing- the nice wood is a simple veneer on the top. The neck and body are 1 piece but there is still a truss rod for adjustment. Was really interested and innovative. Turns out the main Man build Steve Vai’s guitar here

https://youtu.be/zoSIgsXQ9sg?si=J82VrBuSl6qm9zIc

On the live stage I really enjoyed John connearn. I wanted not to like it as a Luddite who prefers amps and moving air but had to concede that his stuff was great. Shreddy, funky, fusion, drop tunings, and really great compositions, melody and arrangements- recommended. Like @ArchtopDave i would have like him to explain the tech/product a little more but I guess he let the music do the talking.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 862
    Had a pleasant day out with @CasperCaster today.
    Parking was easier than last year.
    The volume level was again much better than the previous venue.
    Great show all round.  
    Lots of interesting things to look at and try with some gorgeous guitars on the Ivison stand.
    Visited most stands as we looped around a couple of times. Some nice stuff around the place but others that weren’t really my thing (for the record, I’m mainly a tele player and ‘cool modern’ to me is Ibanez Jem / BC Rich. The Kool amps looked and sounded nice.
    Picked up a Fretboard Pedalboard kit and am looking forward to putting that together soon.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5106
    Sound like fun and sorry I missed it. What is this pedalboard kit I keep hearing about?
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27900
    What is this pedalboard kit I keep hearing about?
    What ????

You've missed this??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8842

The biggest noise offenders that I saw/heard were bored stall holders who should have been spending their time and energy talking to prospects and by passers. 

IMO stall holders should be banned from playing, except on those rare occasions where they have someone demonstrating a product.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27074
    Just got home.

Was great to see so many people I can't even remember everyone's names! It was indeed the busiest show I've ever known, and the queues for the door were round the corner on both sides of the building by the time doors opened, so @Jason was absolutely well-justified in walking around with a bit of a silly grin on his face by the end of the weekend :D 

Thanks to @Jason for putting on a great show as always, and also my eternal gratitude goes out to @Roland @guitars4you @Bridgehouse and @TTony for helping me man the stand. Even though it was much better volume-wise than previous years, I still probably wouldn't have survived it on my own...

In other news, the neck rests and pedalboards turned out to be one hell of a hit - we only had two pedalboard kits remaining by the end of it, and we'd broken even by around 2pm on the Saturday. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what people do with them! This, of course, means that I'll have to do at least one more run of them to satisfy the requests from the folk who couldn't make it to the show (although the price will likely be slightly higher, but I'll start another thread for official "I want one!" requests tomorrow, when I've recovered).

midiman1962 said:

Saw the 15 year old young lad (Will I think?) playing some bluesy stuff sponsored by Parker Fly, sound was ok and a decent version of “Bridge of Sighs” the Robin Trower track.
    Yes, I met him and his mother - lovely people, I'm just gutted that (as usual) I never made it up to the live room. One day, I'll actually manage to get to see somebody actually playing guitar at one of these shows... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8842
    … saw @Roland  and @guitars4you manning the stall but each time I passed it was so busy I couldn’t introduce myself …
    Our stand was busier than any previous show. In part that was due to @digitalscream’s neck rests and “pedal board in a bag”. We had a lot of people who wanted to see how they were made, and ponder the benefit of not having to replace the board every time they want to add just one more pedal. There was also interest in the USB battery power supply strapped beneath. Both are good example of how the forum enables people to compare and share experience. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8568
    I popped along this morning, only half an hour drive for me. Parking was easy in the overflow and def the busiest I’ve seen it. 

Highlight for me was trying out some of the pedal distributors who have headphones options for multiple brands, shame they didn’t have any show specials, or even the pedals for sale, but I guess they can’t undermine their business model of selling to the retailers. 

Guitar wise, Patrick Eggle, Ivison, stunning. A lot of the guitars though- have people forgotten to how to finish a fretboard / fret ends - the Reverends were terrible square edged, sharp fretted things, and many others seemed similar, even some of the higher end UK made stuff felt under-finished, but still some lovely stuff amongst them.

ATB - some of the vintage stuff was epic to look at and the couldn’t help noticing the fretboards looked so inviting and made the modern guitars look dry and unappealing. 

Not temped by anything though in the end, not within my budget anyway.

well done to Jason and the organisers.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    Went on Saturday- did 4 of the live events. 
    Saw the 15 year old young lad (Will I think?) playing some bluesy stuff sponsored by Parker Fly, sound was ok and a decent version of “Bridge of Sighs” the Robin Trower track.
    Then Jack Gardner absolutely shredded through the Neural dsp for an impromptu 30 minute spot ( someone hadn’t turned up). Followed this with Digital John who was pretty impressive through neural dsp though a lot of tracks were pitch shifted ( one 13 steps down).
    went to the adventure in tone lecture but that really wasn’t my thing-sorry!.
    saw @Roland  and @guitars4you manning the stall but each time I passed , it was so busy I couldn’t introduce myself though mark yiu looked pretty much the same as the last time I saw you in 1984
    I think your eyesight needs a test - But thanks anyway - Wish we did have a chat as always good to see a few names etc from the past - take care and maybe chat another day
    tFB Trader
    Great show all round.  
    Lots of interesting things to look at and try with some gorgeous guitars on the Ivison stand.
    Visited most stands as we looped around a couple of times. Some nice stuff around the place but others that weren’t really my thing (for the record, I’m mainly a tele player and ‘cool modern’ to me is Ibanez Jem / BC Rich. The Kool amps looked and sounded nice.
    Picked up a Fretboard Pedalboard kit and am looking forward to putting that together soon.

Sorry I missed you both as I was there on Sat but speak soon at another show - Are you at haydock with Jason this year
    tFB Trader
    I enjoyed Sat and helping out on the FB stand - More relaxed then running your own stand - Certainly better to have time to chat to either members or indeed customers from the past and trade colleagues from the past - Glad I went - Glad I didn't have to run a stand anymore - Good to have some time to browse about even if my bank balanced suffered a touch - I'm as big a guitar junky as you guys so can never sit back and stay away - I'm at an age and time with my business that the show is no longer for me - I'll be at the other shows throughout the year, but most are more used + low key so they suit me - Thanks to the FB guys for putting up with me and glad I could have a chat with a few of you 

Congrats to @Jason for putting on a good show - As much as we all liked the team at the old venue, this is a better pitch - Keep it going and thanks for your hard work etc 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 862
    Great show all round.  

Sorry I missed you both as I was there on Sat but speak soon at another show - Are you at haydock with Jason this year
    Hoping to make Haydock and have a catch up.  Should make it, but only due back from hols the night before.
    Was a bit strange going to a guitar show and not visiting your stand for a coffee and chat.
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    Just out of interest did anybody look at the BGC stand with the small makers on there.
    What was the BGC stand?
    Had a look. Wasn't impressed. Guitars were either somewhat bland, or trying too hard from my point of view.

I'm only interested in the opinions on the guitars, not sure what you mean by trying to hard, could you explain please.

This is interesting to me getting feedback, as a small maker I like the idea of this concept but not sure it works.
    I like the idea/concept Darren but can easy see why some think it is not working - I've had a few chats with you at various shows and like your guitars and format designs - They aren't copies, but they take ideas from the past and allow you to be 'fresh' and original still  - But I'm not so sure that works with the rest of your colleagues - I still think 2/3/4/5 one man teams sharing stand space and ideas is a better concept than each of you having your own space, but maybe 'the collective' idea needs fine tuning so that customers can still see it as 2/3/4/5 individuals sharing space - Maybe it is currently seen as a mix bag of ideas under one roof - Food for thought as against anyone having a go (my 10 penneth) 

I did have a browse on the Sat morning but as you weren't there it was. fleeting browse 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3308
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    Just out of interest did anybody look at the BGC stand with the small makers on there.
    What was the BGC stand?
    Had a look. Wasn't impressed. Guitars were either somewhat bland, or trying too hard from my point of view.

I'm only interested in the opinions on the guitars, not sure what you mean by trying to hard, could you explain please.

This is interesting to me getting feedback, as a small maker I like the idea of this concept but not sure it works.
    I like the idea/concept Darren but can easy see why some think it is not working - I've had a few chats with you at various shows and like your guitars and format designs - They aren't copies, but they take ideas from the past and allow you to be 'fresh' and original still  - But I'm not so sure that works with the rest of your colleagues - I still think 2/3/4/5 one man teams sharing stand space and ideas is a better concept than each of you having your own space, but maybe 'the collective' idea needs fine tuning so that customers can still see it as 2/3/4/5 individuals sharing space - Maybe it is currently seen as a mix bag of ideas under one roof - Food for thought as against anyone having a go (my 10 penneth) 

I did have a browse on the Sat morning but as you weren't there it was. fleeting browse 
    Thanks Mark I'll pass this on, I think the concept needs rethinking too, I'm still working on my new models and had nothing new to take this year but I've got some good ones coming up, hopefully I'll get a review in guitarist mag with the new lightweight burst model.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 847
    Went on Saturday- did 4 of the live events. 
    @midiman1962 - Will Griff, playing a Patrick James Eggle 96, not a Parker Fly in sight ;) 

Great show, good to visit tFB stand and looking forward to building my pedalboard 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1549
    edited March 3
    I didn't know anything about the tfb pedalboard, sorry! Great show though, caught up with a few folk (thanks for the chat, Chris@Rift, and letting me play my new Ryder LP through Aynsley's amp) and came away with a few things - Redbeard's Angry Rhubarb and the 1991 sound-like-PearJam pedals.

Guitar of the show for me was the Patrick Eggle cocobolo-necked '96, with the single pickup ('tron from Sunbear) Ivison Dakota a *very* close 2nd

Had a great chat today with a young lad and his gran over lunch too - don't know if you're on here, but if you are - thanks!

Only downside was the lack of stock to purchase from some of the pedal suppliers. 

A cracking weekend, well worth the trek down from Stirling!

P.S. Who else clocked the ThorpyFX WOPR?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    Kalimna said:
    I didn't know anything about the tfb pedalboard, sorry! Great show though, caught up with a few folk (thanks for the chat, Chris@Rift, and letting me play my new Ryder LP through Aynsley's amp) and came away with a few things - Redbeard's Angry Rhubarb and the 1991 sound-like-PearJam pedals.

Guitar of the show for me was the Patrick Eggle cocobolo-necked '96, with the single pickup ('tron from Sunbear) Ivison Dakota a *very* close 2nd

Had a great chat today with a young lad and his gran over lunch too - don't know if you're on here, but if you are - thanks!

Only downside was the lack of stock to purchase from some of the pedal suppliers. 

A cracking weekend, well worth the trek down from Stirling!

P.S. Who else clocked the ThorpyFX WOPR?
    I did. Shhh
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11065
    tFB Trader
    4string said:
    Nice to meet @digitalscream and @TTony again, and I'm looking forward to making up my pedalboard kit. It was a lot busier than either @OilCityPickups or I could recall from previous years. Yesterday was even busier according to @homeoftonejames (nice to chat BTW), so it must have been rammed. Hearty congratulations to @Jason for putting on a fantastic show.  
    I absolutely second that  ... brilliant show :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    What was the BGC stand?

Thanks Mark I'll pass this on, I think the concept needs rethinking too, I'm still working on my new models and had nothing new to take this year but I've got some good ones coming up, hopefully I'll get a review in guitarist mag with the new lightweight burst model.
    Maybe have a word with @Jason about it as well - Is it seen as a 'business' called BGC that has different 'brands' and ideas going on at the same time - Or is it seen as a collective of 4/5/6 colleagues sharing space together fora. show - I think you can all work under one stand space in the form of 'guitar boutique' etc and the 'best of British' working together but probably needs stronger promotion on site - Food for thought