NGD: Cort G300 Glam

What's Hot
grayngrayn Frets: 938
edited January 4 in Guitar
I popped over to Reidys (Blackburn), this afternoon.  After a look round their large showroom I decided to play two Cort electrics.  A KX500 and a G300 Glam.  I picked up the G300 Glam first.  Now I'd played the G300 Pro a few months back and was surprised at how different the Glam felt.  Different in a good way.  The Pro is an excellent guitar but the Glam immediately felt more solid, with a much nicer, to my hands, profile on the neck.  The neck is African mahogany, which is Ergo V, Graphite Bar Reinforced, with an ebony fretboard.  The Pro's are both roasted maple.  The Glam's body is also mahogany, with a 1/4 maple cap.  The Pro's is basswood, with the same cap.  Both models have Graph Tech Black TUSQ nuts, 24 Stainless Steel Frets, Luminlay Side Dots, Staggered Locking Tuners, excellent Cort CFA-III Tremolos and Seymour Duncan SH2N & TB4 Humbucker Sets.
The G300 Glam is very well specced then, and genuinely has a real boutique guitar look and feel to it.   I have owned a Tom Anderson, a Suhr and a BFR Musicman, so I do know what these guitars are about.  And for a very small amount of cash, the G300 Glam comes pretty close.  And to my thoughts, the Glam is definitely a step up on the Pro.  It came well set up, with a lowish action.  Though it does have 9s on it, which for me, need to be changed to 10s, or 11s if down tuned.
The KX500 is very much a "metal" guitar.  It's design, woods and Fishman Fluence pickups will definitely impress you, particularly if you love to chug and/or widdle.  It has very low but solid action, and a flat radius to the fingerboard.  The other thing that comes to your notice, after the initial balls out sound and feel of the KX500, is that is in no way close to the G300 Glam, for build and finish quality.  It has a far more basic, workmanlike look and design.
So, as you may have worked out, the Cort G300 Glam came home with me.  It's overall quality, tasty Duncan pickups and very smooth, traditional floating trem, really do make life easier for you.  I guess Cort chose the Glam suffix for the Polar Ice Metallic Burst finish to the front of the body and headstock.  Yes, it is a tad glittery but only from close up and this "Glam" finish is actually really nice.
Apologies for poor pics.  No daylight and my cam's flash is OTT.

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    grayn said:
    I fancied a 25.5 incher
    You are Samantha from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and I claim my fifty Guineas.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grayngrayn Frets: 938
    A couple more pics.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4264
    Very nice! I like that offset Strat shape that Cort do on quite a few of their models. I have an X300 and it’s a really good guitar. My Jackson was built in the Cort factory too, and I’ve waxed lyrical about that several times on here.

HNGD!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1105
    Nice but really needs a Floyd! :) how are the fret on this one? i've had a few corts in the past but the tiny fret height always lead to them leaving quickly.

I know a few folks here had a number of build issues with their FATII's (like 3 or 4 going back in a row) but all my cort built from low to mid/high had amazing fit and finish for the price point. HNGD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gizmo said:
    Nice but really needs a Floyd! :) how are the fret on this one? i've had a few corts in the past but the tiny fret height always lead to them leaving quickly.

I know a few folks here had a number of build issues with their FATII's (like 3 or 4 going back in a row) but all my cort built from low to mid/high had amazing fit and finish for the price point. HNGD
    I wouldn't have got it if it had a Floyd.  The frets are fairly standard, size wise.  This is my first Cort 6-string.  I have owned 4 Cort basses, which have been exemplary, with no QC issues at all.  The only stupid thing on a Cort I have come across, is locking jack input.  Had it on one of my basses.  Ridiculous idea.  Other than that I find the higher end Cort gear to be fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nice, love the finish on it, enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3534
    It's really cool @grayn ;
    I think the one for me would be the Raw finish, though. Stunner!

carlos said:
    It's really cool @grayn ;
    I think the one for me would be the Raw finish, though. Stunner!

The Raw does look good.  The Etched finish on the K500 I tried, was cool.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I changed the 9s for 10s this afternoon, tightened the trem springs a tad and lowered the action.  Pretty much perfect now.
    Superb playability and intonation, and the trem is really smooth and effective.  Really like the way it pushes my amp's gain/
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    edited January 5
    They are great guitars, glad you’re happy with it. 
    I had the 290LE in lagoon burst awhile back that had Suhr pickup’s wired to a 3 way. 
    Was excellent except it weighed too much for me.  The 290LE was mahogany with a thick maple cap. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7808
    Lovely guitar.  I really like Cort guitars and am particularly fond of my G300 Pro in vivid burgundy.  Out of curiosity, do you have a preference over position 2 and 4 on the selector switch?  I find the differences quite subtle, but prefer prefer position 2 (bridge + middle on a strat) that splits the coils on both pickups and uses the "outside" ones (i.e. the coils furthest from each other).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    They are great guitars, glad you’re happy with it. 
    I had the 290LE in lagoon burst awhile back that had Suhr pickup’s wired to a 3 way. 
    Was excellent except it weighed too much for me.  The 290LE was mahogany with a thick maple cap. 
    I only played the G290 Fat, which had lovely pickups but I wasn't so keen on the neck.  I would like to try an LE.
    The G300 Glam is not a heavy guitar at all.  Mahogany can vary in weight so much, from one guitar to another, though.
    BillDL said:
    Lovely guitar.  I really like Cort guitars and am particularly fond of my G300 Pro in vivid burgundy.  Out of curiosity, do you have a preference over position 2 and 4 on the selector switch?  I find the differences quite subtle, but prefer prefer position 2 (bridge + middle on a strat) that splits the coils on both pickups and uses the "outside" ones (i.e. the coils furthest from each other).
    I agree with your comments on positions 2 and 4.  Like you, I prefer position 2.  Sounds great on sparkling clean with a tiny bit of chorus.  Though TBH, I am mainly using the bridge HB, with Hi Gain, which is awesome.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7808
    I would be really curious to have your guitar alongside my G300 Pro to do an A-B comparison to see whether the different woods have any bearing on the sound, given that they have the same pickups and switching.
    BillDL said:
    I would be really curious to have your guitar alongside my G300 Pro to do an A-B comparison to see whether the different woods have any bearing on the sound, given that they have the same pickups and switching.
    I'd imagine the difference would be subtle.
    I do feel the neck is a tiny bit fuller on the Glam.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 852
    I wonder if the twin tremolo posts are locking (i.e. with a little grub screws inside that locked the body inserts…

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Used to hanker after the original model when it came out. Think it won best guitar of the year. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 642
    Very nice! I like that offset Strat shape that Cort do on quite a few of their models. I have an X300 and it’s a really good guitar. My Jackson was built in the Cort factory too, and I’ve waxed lyrical about that several times on here.

HNGD!

I agree - I like the way that they look a bit different, while still looking mostly like a Strat.

I also really like the etched purple finish on the KX500 - it's a shame they only make hardtails with this finish.
    (Or maybe it's a good thing, as it's saved me money!)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4389
    Very nice. HNGD. 

I really like that etched purple one above. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to