JVM 410C - am I mad in wanting one?

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
edited January 4 in Amps
So, got the itch to get a JVM...don't want the hassle of a head/cab so combo it is.

Seen a 410C locally, am I best shying away from them for any reason or are they generally regarded as decent amps.

I know the combo weighs the same as a Toyota Yaris but surely it can't be as a bad as my previous MKIV Mesa Hardwood Combo? - handles on the side and stuff I assume?

Will be used sparingly for gigs (we are generally a FOH/IEM band) being controlled by FM9's Midi - which hopefully will work OK - just feel a little bit exposed not having a proper amp on hand (if that makes sense)and will sometimes be nice to have an amp behind me..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 891
    edited January 4
    I had a 205C for a few months last year. It sounded EPIC at decent volume, and actually even sounded pretty good at very low volumes at home!

It ended up getting displaced by a DSL40CR for the following reasons:

-weight, as you can imagine. Not actually too bad when using the side handles on level ground, but absolutely brutal to get up and down our narrow, steep stairs. 

-no external bias adjustment! Combined with weight, that made taking it to a tech a massive hassle as well as an expense, even if the EL34’s only need replacing every couple of years. Going through that once was more than enough, and I wasn’t about to open the chassis with the amp powered up. DSL has external bias points.

-I actually preferred the DSL voicing on the corresponding crunch and OD1 channels! The JVM edges it for high gain stuff certainly but I mostly play classic rock, or early 90’s Megadeth etc at a push. I should say that this is after I swapped the DSL stock speaker for a G12H Creamback. 

-further to the previous point, I seemed to have to keep tweaking the JVM controls a lot. Small changes in gain and volume seemed to need re-eq’ing, especially if changing between channels, whereas the DSL just seems to sound fine  across all channels with the shared EQ in the middle third.

-JVM seemed to have noticeably higher circuit noise especially using the FX loop - presumably because it’s got lots more gain… I ended up programming in 2 separate noise gates on the multi fx. DSL much quieter. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3813
    edited January 4
    ^^^ The DSL crunch tone is superb.. many gigs I live on that with just the guitar volume control and a boost pedal.  Has the midi switching too.

Portable and practical..  I looked at the JVM combo but my Mesa Boogie with EVM tells me I’m not in my 20s anymore. 

Very tempted with the 2x12 DSL402 as a backup/alternative.  Pop some creambacks or neos in. £399.. silly bargain! 

Good point on bias being easy on DSL too… advantage of Mesa Boogie for theatre and busy gig work is straight swaps with Mesa matched tubes. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    edited January 5
    Wait the JVMs don't have external bias points? I thought they did... where did I hear/read that?  s But the new version of the DSL does, even the 2x12 combo, right? I'm struggling hard not to go for the DSL402 as well, @Stratovarious ;;
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 891
    edited January 5
    Dave_Mc said:
    Wait the JVMs don't have external bias points? I thought they did... where did I hear/read that? 
    Two effects loops, 12 gain modes (or 6 for the 2xx series)… but you still have to take it to bits and come into close proximity to lethal voltages to check the bias. 

Let’s put in all the features and modern conveniences anyone could possibly want in a flagship amp, and then some… wait, we’ve definitely not left anything out, have we…?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2065
    A mate of mine lugs one of these around. Sounds fantastic, go for it.
  • I have the head version, it has its quirks but sounds great. That OD1 Orange mode especially is just awesome, does a great crunch and clean too. 

Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t really give a crap about bias points and whatnot, it sounds fine as is. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397

Two effects loops, 12 gain modes (or 6 for the 2xx series)… but you still have to take it to bits and come into close proximity to lethal voltages to check the bias. 

Let’s put in all the features and modern conveniences anyone could possibly want in a flagship amp, and then some… wait, we’ve definitely not left anything out, have we…?
    In my opinion all adjustable-bias amps should have test points and adjusters accessible without taking the chassis out or going anywhere near dangerous voltages. It was done as long ago as 1988, on the Fender red-knob ‘The Twin’, which is the first amp I know of with it. You can even provide LED indicators so you don’t even need a multimeter, like the modern Ampeg SVTs. It doesn’t even need to be that sophisticated, a small hole in the chassis to allow a meter probe to reach a pad on a PCB and a hole for a screwdriver to get to a trimmer will do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    @Dave_Mc - yep, the DSL402 exposes a test point on the chassis for ground, and one for each valve’s cathode bias sense resistor.

Even better, you get a trim pot for each valve. If they’re tired and out of whack, or you’ve been sold some that are mis-matched, you can tweak them individually.

Soz, I appreciate that’s not helping your bank balance ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    Dave_Mc said:
    Wait the JVMs don't have external bias points? I thought they did... where did I hear/read that? 

LOL
    ICBM said:

In my opinion all adjustable-bias amps should have test points and adjusters accessible without taking the chassis out or going anywhere near dangerous voltages. It was done as long ago as 1988, on the Fender red-knob ‘The Twin’, which is the first amp I know of with it. You can even provide LED indicators so you don’t even need a multimeter, like the modern Ampeg SVTs. It doesn’t even need to be that sophisticated, a small hole in the chassis to allow a meter probe to reach a pad on a PCB and a hole for a screwdriver to get to a trimmer will do it.
    Agreed

randella said:
    @Dave_Mc - yep, the DSL402 exposes a test point on the chassis for ground, and one for each valve’s cathode bias sense resistor.

Even better, you get a trim pot for each valve. If they’re tired and out of whack, or you’ve been sold some that are mis-matched, you can tweak them individually.

Soz, I appreciate that’s not helping your bank balance ;)
    LOL Thanks :)
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 862
    I have a DSL100HR, DSL40CR and a JVM410H which has been modded (Dan Gower) I usually use the100HR to gig with. It’s great with the 6 button pedal not as versatile as the JVM but it’s pretty much set and forget. The JVM is a monster though! Lol! I rehearse with the combo with a Zilla fat baby underneath. I wouldn’t mind getting another fat baby and converting the combo to a head - I recon that would work really well. Can’t really go wrong with any of them to be fair!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 104
    I have an Older DSL 401 combo and a JVM 410H. The JVM is certainly more versatile. Going from Classic Marshall cleans and Gains all the way into 5150 sounds. The DSL I find does a good Classic rock sounds and beyond but the versatility is not a great. If you plan to record and not just gig the JVM is better
  • I had a 410c and extension cab I won for a silly price on eBay. Fizzy crap. Genuinely sounded like a SS amp in a live situation. However, my friend had the 2 channel 50w combo (205?) and it was much better. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    Well, a 410c turned up here today, let’s hope it’s not a fizzy piece of crap at live levels, had it pretty loud in the house here today and was anything but…but there again it might change in a mix.

OD1 is obviously where it’s all at but I’m also really liking OD2. Can’t get Crunch settled yet though, Red Mode is where I seem to be settling with Crunch channel as my AC/DC type crunch but need to spend more time with it I think.

Midi works a treat too with the FM9
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 104
    I had a 410c and extension cab I won for a silly price on eBay. Fizzy crap. Genuinely sounded like a SS amp in a live situation. However, my friend had the 2 channel 50w combo (205?) and it was much better. 
    I have Found that my JVM head does like to be loud to get the best out of it or at least put through an attenuator (so the amp thinks it loud). Also My Little DSL is kinda the same fizzy until given a few beans.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 862
    edited January 24
    I set mine with all channel volumes between 2 and  3 O’clock and gain at about 1 O’clock eq all about 12 O’clock. Main rhythm is on crunch red set like that. Clean I use 2nd master but is crset the same. Lead is either green OD1 or yellow OD2 with or without 2nd master. Bearing in mind mine is modded. Loop is cranked as I don’t use the amps reverb and have reverb, delay and boost in the loop. Wah chorus boost and tuner in front.it’s a very big sounding amp! Lol! OD1 and OD2 red never get used- way to much gain for me!