I need a replacement Paul Reed Smith logo for my guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2037
    Sarge said:
    Can recommend this guy's stuff, used his decals a few times. Follow the instructions properly and it will look great.

The trick is to cut around the decal in a wavy line and use a brand new scalpel blade at a low dragged angle so you get a smooth-edged cut with no ragged fraying and no obvious straight line on the edge of the decal. You then need quite a few coats of laquer to end up with enough on there to mask the edge of the decal by having the laquer not display an obvious ridge. Wait a long time between adding new laquer layers to allow it to thoroughly dry and clean it off between each one you spray, so there is no dust; take your time, impatience will spoil it. Give the decal a (very light) coat of laquer before you use it to prevent it being damaged by the water. Mask the entire guitar apart from the face of the headstock when spraying, laquer particles will float in the air and land on your guitar otherwise.

That simply disgusts me, logos and brand names are also copy righted and protected by IP laws.  And quite frankly selling things that are needed to produce counterfeit guitars - like converting cheap shitty brand A to pass it off as expensive brand B, is scraping the bottom of the barrel low, as in ''I can't come up with my own original ideas to make a living or get a real job, so I'll just steal somebody else's hard work and reputation, and not compensate the owners for my theft of their hard work''.

I've reported the seller, and I'm not ashamed to admit to that, or that I've also sent a link to the eBay store to Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Godin, Burns, ESP, and every other manufacturer the seller is selling counterfeit logos and branding of.  Honestly how would people here feel if he was selling Oil City Pickups branded pickup bases, or even Feline guitar logos?

Seriously, if you don't want to lose the branding on your branded guitar:

1, Don't fuck around with the original finish
    2, If you need the headstock or anywhere else on your guitar refinished or repaired that has the logo and branding of the manufacturer, then send it back to the manufacturer or their local representative to have the work done, if this is out of your budget, of you find it too expensive for your tastes, that does not give you the right to use counterfeit logos and branding, no matter how special you think you are.
    Wow, I bet you're fun at parties.  :#
    You'll always find him in the kitchen...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    ^^ No, I bet Groggy really IS fun at parties  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    Philly_Q said:
    Interesting thread.  My 2013 S2 Mira has the problematic delaminating finish they were using that year.  The finish hasn't started falling off, it's just cloudy in a few spots, but I've wondered what I would do about the logo/decal if the guitar ever needs a refinish.
    I’m gonna have to check my PRS Mira tomorrow after reading this.
    I can’t remember the year of my head.
    Do you have any pictures of your headstock?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24200
    Philly_Q said:
    Interesting thread.  My 2013 S2 Mira has the problematic delaminating finish they were using that year.  The finish hasn't started falling off, it's just cloudy in a few spots, but I've wondered what I would do about the logo/decal if the guitar ever needs a refinish.
    No pictures I'm afraid, but of course the year's on the back of the headstock.  2013 was - I think - the first year for S2 models and on mine the Paul Reed Smith logo is black, not the usual gold.  I don't know if that applies to all 2013 models, but they were certainly gold by the following year.

I haven't got an easy-to-find source for PRS history so I'm going by memory here, apologies if dates are wrong:
    They introduced a new finish in 2011(?) which they used for a couple of years, including the 2013 S2s.  It was found that the finish had a tendency to detach itself from the wood and (in some cases, apparently) flake off.  It's not unusual for PRS finishes to flake a bit around the fretboard edges, but this was worse than that.  For a while there was a repair program to get your guitar refinished for free, but that ended a few years ago.

Just to clarify, mine doesn't have any finish issues on the headstock and no paint's flaked off, it just has a cloudy/milky appearance on part of the neck heel, a few small spots on the body and around the neck joint (like an old Hamer).  I first noticed it about five years ago, I guess.  It's got very slightly worse since then, but it's not really a big deal, I can live with it.

I think they'd sorted it out after 2013, I have 2014 and 2015 S2 models and the finish is OK on those.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    Can recommend this guy's stuff, used his decals a few times. Follow the instructions properly and it will look great.

The trick is to cut around the decal in a wavy line and use a brand new scalpel blade at a low dragged angle so you get a smooth-edged cut with no ragged fraying and no obvious straight line on the edge of the decal. You then need quite a few coats of laquer to end up with enough on there to mask the edge of the decal by having the laquer not display an obvious ridge. Wait a long time between adding new laquer layers to allow it to thoroughly dry and clean it off between each one you spray, so there is no dust; take your time, impatience will spoil it. Give the decal a (very light) coat of laquer before you use it to prevent it being damaged by the water. Mask the entire guitar apart from the face of the headstock when spraying, laquer particles will float in the air and land on your guitar otherwise.
    I did this with a tele bass neck once until it looked like it was floating  in glass I had a shed and boiler room then though . I used north west guitar nitro and got a cheap ventilator mask off eBay .
    it’s still scary if you’re a klutz like me  I had some like 1200 1500 emery cloth
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    edited January 11
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    No pictures I'm afraid, but of course the year's on the back of the headstock.  2013 was - I think - the first year for S2 models and on mine the Paul Reed Smith logo is black, not the usual gold.  I don't know if that applies to all 2013 models, but they were certainly gold by the following year.

I haven't got an easy-to-find source for PRS history so I'm going by memory here, apologies if dates are wrong:
    They introduced a new finish in 2011(?) which they used for a couple of years, including the 2013 S2s.  It was found that the finish had a tendency to detach itself from the wood and (in some cases, apparently) flake off.  It's not unusual for PRS finishes to flake a bit around the fretboard edges, but this was worse than that.  For a while there was a repair program to get your guitar refinished for free, but that ended a few years ago.

Just to clarify, mine doesn't have any finish issues on the headstock and no paint's flaked off, it just has a cloudy/milky appearance on part of the neck heel, a few small spots on the body and around the neck joint (like an old Hamer).  I first noticed it about five years ago, I guess.  It's got very slightly worse since then, but it's not really a big deal, I can live with it.

I think they'd sorted it out after 2013, I have 2014 and 2015 S2 models and the finish is OK on those.
    Thanks for that information.
    I just checked our four different models of PRS guitars to be on the safe side and they are all fine.
    I definitely should play them more than I do.

• thommydonutsthommydonuts Frets: 7
    edited July 22
    ..and here it is.

PRS Custom 24 with a nitro shell pink refinish, and fake logo I found on the internet…

https://imgur.com/a/p8RysDf

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17165
    ..and here it is.

PRS Custom 24 with a nitro shell pink refinish, and fake logo I found on the internet…

That's a lot of fun

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    ..and here it is.

The only issue I'd have is the clear knobs - Maybe black for me - But otherwise I like it and it looks mega cool - hope it feels/plays as good as it looks 

What p/ups have you got on it - Or have you just added covers to the usual HFS and VB
  • ..and here it is.

The only issue I'd have is the clear knobs - Maybe black for me - But otherwise I like it and it looks mega cool - hope it feels/plays as good as it looks 

What p/ups have you got on it - Or have you just added covers to the usual HFS and VB
    Thanks, yeah I might switch the knobs out at some point. 

Plays great, they’re stock pickups with covers on.
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 239
    Looks superb!

Nice logo  ;)
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4307
    Class!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24200
    Looks good, including the logo!  I agree about the knobs, they look a bit weird... black or gold or even the smoky-grey PRS lampshade knobs would suit better, I think.  But yes, a relic PRS looks cool. :) 
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    I think amber knobs would suit the vibe but it looks awesome regardless.
  • MattPMattP Frets: 253
    If Casper were pink!

looks fantastic, thanks for posting!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3432
    That’s great. Instantly makes the PRS look cooler somehow.  I like the knobs as is.